Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,

Just picked up a 1993 21SC in pretty good shape and had a couple questions as I go through the process of checking everything out.

1. It doesn't have the shroud extenders I've read about in the manual however it does have a righting pole system. The part # for the shroud extenders isn't pulling up anything online but it looks like they are available for the 18. Anyone know if the kit for the 18 will work on the 21SC?

2. Stepped the mast in my driveway to become familiar (and to make sure I don't look like a total amateur when I take it to the sailing squadron yard for storage) and all went well. When I brought it down, I heard some sloshing of water at the comptip. I verified that it is only there and doesn't not travel down the whole mast when stepped. No matter what orientation I put the mast, it won't drain out of anywhere which is odd, how did the water get in there? Anyway, whats the best way to remove the water, do I need to drill out the rivets and remove the mast head to drain?

3. The forward tramp had a big slice in it so I ordered a new one. While looking over how to install it, it appears I may have to remove the Cat cabin to install it. Is that correct?

Can't wait to get it wet and have some fun!

Thanks!
Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have both Johnson Marine Quick Release Lever and Hobie's upright solo righting system.

With both of these set up on my shroads and my extra large righting bag from Colorado Bag Co. , I can sail without worry. Sort of . :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

1. H18 has the same rigging as the H21SC. Only difference is the bridal wires, and the hardware that connects the shrouds to the hulls. So, yes a H18 kit will work on your 21.

2. If there is water in your mast, you have a leak, and you will have to let out the water. The good news is you will be able to do both at the same time. Pull off the mast head (casting with halyard blocks at the top) and drain. Then reseal with silicone and pop in new rivets.

3. The cat cabin is easy to remove. Be careful what replacement tramp you get, as front tramps need to flow lots of water through them. I recommend the hobie one.