Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Compass duo and it tracks very poorly in wind and or chop. Downwind it drifts sideways and sometimes backwards at a 45 degree angle. I live in Hawaii and use it in the ocean here and we often have some wind and current to deal with. The lack of track requires constant peddling. Does anyone have any suggestions on improving this?

Update: Guess no one has this issue?

Anyway I figured out how to get the new fin on but unfortunately hasn't help much.

https://imgur.com/ReKYwbz
https://imgur.com/wNaCCwe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased a 2020 Compass in camo with kick up fins. Decided to convey my first impressions and observations. The mods completed by my dealer were the rectangular hatch, relocating the eight-inch hatch to the front, a six-inch hatch in the rear, and the hookless stowage pocket on the starboard side. Recently, I took my Compass, along with a bass rod, out on a local pond (Killens Pond, Delaware) for its initial shakedown. I've had three Outbacks, a PA 14, and currently have a 13-foot Quest used for rocky and skinny water so I'm not a newbie. However, this is my first Mirage 180. Routinely pushing off the shoreline with a paddle while fishing is kind of second nature. I found myself using reverse quite often and wonder how I previously managed without it. Although the paddle is a slight challenge to latch, I only needed the paddle to launch from and return to shore. As the ponds in Delaware are murky with poor visibility this time of year, I hit and glided over a few branches, stumps, and fallen trees. The kick up fins worked flawlessly. From shoreline to parking lot departure took me just twenty minutes (gunwales down). The recessed gear track makes vehicle loading easier. However, there were a couple of issues. The rudder didn't deploy upon launch. I had to manually pull it down. When back home I discovered the rudder failed to drop because the foam blocks were binding the deployment line. It appears installing the rectangular hatch necessitated the blocks being pushed further toward the side, thus binding the deployment line. While I had the blocks out, I discovered the deployment line was also rubbing against the 3/4 inch self-tapping pointed screws used to install the stowage pocket. Assuming the screws would eventually cut through the line, I replaced the self-tapping screws with 3/4 inch screws and lock nuts. By turning the foam blocks V side up the deployment line is unhindered and rudder deployment works fine. BTW, I also purchased the new load assist and waiting for its arrival. Overall, I was impressed and very pleased with my Compass on this shakedown. I also appreciate all the Compass comments that have been posted since it was introduced, which contributed to my decision to buy one. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ronrbaker wrote:
I purchased a 2020 Compass in camo with kick up fins. Decided to convey my first impressions and observations. The mods completed by my dealer were the rectangular hatch, relocating the eight-inch hatch to the front, a six-inch hatch in the rear, and the hookless stowage pocket on the starboard side. Recently, I took my Compass, along with a bass rod, out on a local pond (Killens Pond, Delaware) for its initial shakedown. I've had three Outbacks, a PA 14, and currently have a 13-foot Quest used for rocky and skinny water so I'm not a newbie. However, this is my first Mirage 180. Routinely pushing off the shoreline with a paddle while fishing is kind of second nature. I found myself using reverse quite often and wonder how I previously managed without it. Although the paddle is a slight challenge to latch, I only needed the paddle to launch from and return to shore. As the ponds in Delaware are murky with poor visibility this time of year, I hit and glided over a few branches, stumps, and fallen trees. The kick up fins worked flawlessly. From shoreline to parking lot departure took me just twenty minutes (gunwales down). The recessed gear track makes vehicle loading easier. However, there were a couple of issues. The rudder didn't deploy upon launch. I had to manually pull it down. When back home I discovered the rudder failed to drop because the foam blocks were binding the deployment line. It appears installing the rectangular hatch necessitated the blocks being pushed further toward the side, thus binding the deployment line. While I had the blocks out, I discovered the deployment line was also rubbing against the 3/4 inch self-tapping pointed screws used to install the stowage pocket. Assuming the screws would eventually cut through the line, I replaced the self-tapping screws with 3/4 inch screws and lock nuts. By turning the foam blocks V side up the deployment line is unhindered and rudder deployment works fine. BTW, I also purchased the new load assist and waiting for its arrival. Overall, I was impressed and very pleased with my Compass on this shakedown. I also appreciate all the Compass comments that have been posted since it was introduced, which contributed to my decision to buy one. :D

Congrats! I had similar issues with the rudder deployment. Can be annoying sometimes, especially when getting on the water and realizing I have the issue, then sticking my hand through awkwardly through the circular hatch (haven't upgraded to the rectangular yet). I really need to tape those blocks down. Which load assist you going with? I have the Yakima showboat66 and it works well, not sure if you are going for side load or rear load.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the congrats. When I mentioned the boat loader, I meant the new load assist for the Compass stern that is similar to the load assist that comes with the new Outback. Also, I too have a showboat loader for when I travel short distances and want my boat rigging in place. For long distance travel, I like my gunwales down and use the Yakima pull out loader to mount my kayaks from the side of my van.