Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where can I find the proper lengths for the shrouds and forestay for an older Hobie Getaway?

ex dealer West Coast Sail Shop 1980 Located Englewood Beach Florida
worked at Port Tack Sailboats Ft.Lauderdale, Frey's Marine West Palm Bch 1972-1980

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You probably should just measure the ones you have.

Failing that:
You can get a good guess for the forestay by measuring the jib luff and adding 8" or so.

You can also just raise the mast with temp lines at all three spots (and a couple helpers)-pick a light air day. Then ease it back by slackening the "forestay" line. You know where to stop easing by having a length of line equal to the length of the mainsail leach hauled up to the top sheave, then when you ease the "forestay" until the mainsheet attached to that length of line is near two blocked (boat is balanced when mainsheet is near two blocked). Then you know how long the forestay should be. Then mark the two "shroud" lines and you have all three lengths.

Personally, I'd use 4mm dyneema instead of wire for the shrouds. Still need wire for the forestay since the dyneema won't let you furl the jib.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the ideas though I am intimately familiar with Hobies since 1973-1984 working for and having a dealership.
I had a local boat yard make shrouds and forestay for me and didn't check lengths with old ones before disposing of old rigging.
The shrouds or forestay or both are too long compared with previous rigging when I rigged last time, I need the proper lengths to redo. I am more than capable now that I found a ship's store that let you diy!
Have made hundreds in past but for H-14,16, etc.
I'm really surprised that it seems to be a secret now! I expected to find on Hobie site but for the life of me I cannot find!
Am going to try some catamaran part houses like Murrays. Are there any new ones I might not be familiar with?
This is an older pre wings GetaWay!

worked at Port Tack Sailboats Ft.Lauderdale, Frey's Marine West Palm Bch 1972-1980

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

We sell the finished lengths only. Partly due to concerns about people fabricating their own... specs are not readily available. The wires are too critical to the safety of sailing the boat.

Catalog: https://cdn.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/Web_International_Hobie_Sail_August_2019.pdf#page=28

Find a Hobie Dealer (Murrays is not a Hobie Dealer): https://www.hobie.com/dealers/

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have noticed that Hobie is protective of any actual specifications which is why I recommended measuring yourself. If you do have to order from Hobie, at least the prices are good. Since you have wires that are "too long", can you estimate how much longer they are than they should be--maybe you can just substitute a shorter bow shackle or D shackle? There is some adjustment possible in the adjustment thingy's (never did learn what they should be called). Had I kept the Getaway, I would have switched to dyneema by now in the shrouds. More reliable and less hassle for a trailer sailor.

I do miss the Getaway, it was a nice toy. Part of the reason I got rid of it is that it looked too much like a toy with that big ball at the top of the mast and all those childish colors in the sails. Not a "real" boat.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mr. Miller having been a dealer and worked for some of the first dealerships i.e. Port Tack Sailboats in Ft. Lauderale I find that my closest dealer has no boat parts and is mainly into karats . The dealership I bought a mast from was not up to par with knowledge. Sorry!
I was hoping that this forum was a place were just like in the past enthusiasts where leading the way to innovation many of which Hobie has picked up on. For example, low profile main sheet and jib sheet blocks, unbreakable rudders, adjustable jib traveler cars.
Making shrouds is not rocket science! I'll figure the lengths out. Part of the problem is with changes made from year to year on newer models not found anywhere. On the Getaway for example the adjustment of the jib, tying it up to swivel to adjust the tension? I believe the pigtail has changed, and the adjustment at the roller furler. I am exploring the European method of adjusting the jib tension without having to turn the boat on it's side.
Was hoping this forum had more info.
But thanks for your time and consideration.

Last edited by Nolagetaway on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Had I kept the Getaway, I would have switched to dyneema by now in the shrouds. More reliable and less hassle for a trailer sailor.
I do miss the Getaway, it was a nice toy. Part of the reason I got rid of it is that it looked too much like a toy with that big ball at the top of the mast and all those childish colors in the sails. Not a "real" boat
Quote:

Btw I have an all white mainsail lol.
Yes the ball is silly but she carries a load without too much reduction in sailing ability and flies when solo sailing!
Pretty good fishing platform also!
Can you give me a clue as to how to use dyneema at the thimble. Hopefully not splicing as I'm not up to speed with that!
Thanks for your time and interest and knowledge of the Getaway!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is really simple to make an eye splice in dyneema. Just look up "Brummel" splice on You Tube. You should put a "sailmaker's thimble" inside the splice to allow the line to slide easily at the hounds. I'd make them a foot or so short on purpose with another thimble/eye splice at the other end. Then use some thinner dyneema wrapped in a cascade to a bow shackle that you install at the chainplates. That way you can ease and retention the shrouds easily as you find the correct mast rake.

Yah, white sails, Paint skull and crossbones on the bob, get rid of the getaway graphics==then you'd have a boat!

BTW, the front crossbeam is robust enough to fly a small spin from without having to go to the hassle of installing the big sprit with associated jumble'd hardware. Won't go faster downwind, but you will be able to get there faster since you can drive deeper.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II