Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been looking at hobie cats for a while now. I'm not sure what to buy though I have seen 14,16, tiger cats, and getaways for sale locally. I am an avid boater and have a proline 2950 I redid three year. I sold my j24 about two years ago and I owned that for 8 years. I loved my j24 I buy another in a heart beat but I can never get anyone to sail with me. I am leaning towards a 14 as I feel it's something I can solo. They can also be found for a good price at between 750 and 1100 locally in fair condition.

I am curious as to what you more experienced people think I should go. The boat will be used in the lower Chesapeake bay.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

get a 16 minimum. hobie 14 is fun but 2 full sized guys on it is pushing the limits. a 16 will allow you and a buddy, or a couple ladies...but is still easily soloed...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I owned and sailed an H-16 for many years and loved it. I sailed it solo or wit up to 3 people. I wouldn't recommend a 14, just too small. You would not be disappointed with a 16.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks you for the replies I was a little nervous about righting the h16 but I guess I would just need to configure it right. There are lots of nice h16 in our area for a good price. When you guys solo a h16 i am guessing you just run the main? How does it handle with just the main ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I solo my 16. I actually have never had anyone else to sail with so I have ONLY sailed mine solo. I always run the jib as well as the main. You pretty much use the jib to swing the bows cross wind. You can do it without but it's way easier with it. I second the getting a 16. I started last year with a 14 turbo and quickly decided it was way fun but didn't feel comfortable with the leeward hull skimming just above the water at warp speed. After pitchpoling and nearly pitchpoling it a few times I looked for and bought a 16. The first time I went out on the 16 I was like the Cheshire cat and haven't sailed the 14 since. I started sailing last year but I have sailed both the 14 and the 16 now more than 20 times apiece.
I MIGHT have an addiction! :wink:

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The 16 is made to be sailed with the jib. start with a few light wind days and find out. it's really not a big deal as long as the jib blocks are set correctly to allow easy un(de?)- cleating. for solo fun sailing, it is pretty much "Set it and forget it" If you get busy, trim the jib with the rudders, and then the main with its sheet. i soloed my dad's 16 at around 11 years old... it is a VERY fun boat. Wear Your PFD!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I solo my Getaway a lot, I use the main and jib, and if the wind is reasonable (under 13 kt) I'll use the spinnaker too by myself. Gets a bit hectic sometimes!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm thinking about buying a Hobie cat too. We recently purchased a property with a dock. Ideally I'd keep the sailboat on a floating dock to make launch easier. Else, I would be able to launch the boat from shore. I'd be sailing alone most of the time, but my wife would join me occasionally. I used to sail a lot when I was younger. Sunfish, Laser and Penguin. I do kayak a lot though and we will likely have a kayak or two as well.

So which Hobie would be easy for one person to launch from a dock/shore setting. I'm really intrigued with the Hobie 16, but the Mirage Adventure looks very cool. Looking for recommendations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't know what kind of shorelines you have. Sandy ones are good for about anything, but rocky ones can be a challenge for the fiberglass boats like the H16. You'd need to perfect getting on/off in water and getting beach wheels (Cat Trax) under the boat before it hits land. A Wave might be better if you sail alone a lot, it's recreational mostly (not racing) and good if you want something that can knock around. It's lighter too. And it can handle 2 people. That's what a lot of resorts have gone to.

The kayak isn't in the same class. There's a guy with one of those nearby me who carries a paddle so he can tack the thing on Lake Michigan. I don't see him out there much.

I single-hand my H16 all the time and love it. I can call someone by radio if I capsize (rare), but you never know when a shroud will break or your trapeze knot comes undone and you come off the boat so if you get one it might pay to get a righting stick or water bag (righting aids) and practice to boost confidence. And always wear a pfd.

For me, the jib is very important on the H16, both for trim and for tacking. When you come about and esp when you gybe there can be a lot to do with both sheets but you get the hang of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I.P. Freely wrote:
I don't know what kind of shorelines you have. Sandy ones are good for about anything, but rocky ones can be a challenge for the fiberglass boats like the H16. You'd need to perfect getting on/off in water and getting beach wheels (Cat Trax) under the boat before it hits land. A Wave might be better if you sail alone a lot, it's recreational mostly (not racing) and good if you want something that can knock around. It's lighter too. And it can handle 2 people. That's what a lot of resorts have gone to.

Thanks for the suggestion. The Wave looks like like a good bet for my purposes. I like that it's easy to handle alone but also can take the occasional passenger. Eventually I might get something bigger, but for getting back into sailing after such a long time, it looks like a good all around boat. Thanks again.