Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

EVOLVE v2 MOTOR KIT - K NO BAT

US$ 1406.00

Is this shipping yet if I order through a dealer or will I be waiting months to get it?

And does it include battery charger?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

No battery, no charger (the charges differ depending on battery type you buy/have)

Available today.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What is the difference between this item?

What is the 225 propeller is it the same prop included with all Hobie Evolve v2 kits?

HOBIE EVOLVE V2 MOTOR WITH 225 PROPELLER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Also will the power cord from the Evolve to the battery fit in the 3 way thru hull plug or is it too thick?

I'm going to just put the 915wh battery in my H-crate since it won't fit through the Hobie circular hatch, so would have the power cord coming back out of the hull somewhere back there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:50 am 
Site Admin

That is the motor only...

The evolve kit comes with its own through hull fittings. The cable looks like it would fit, but the end connectors are large, so not sure.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does it come with with 2 thru-hull fittings for the power cord though?

I would have to have the 915wh battery in my H-crate and not in the hull since it doesn't fit through the circular hatch, so the cord has to go into the hull at the bow with 1 fitting, then come out another fitting by the stern.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:53 am 
Site Admin

That would not require a thru-hull fitting to the motor. It comes with everything assuming the battery is in the hull.

Instructions sow the parts: https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/72022030_UPxrD2C.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are two cables connected to the battery. A thin one with a small connector to the throttle control, and a thick one with a large connector to the motor.

For the throttle, sounds like you want to run the cable between it and the battery through the hull and back up on the aft deck. Not sure how many through-hull fittings come with the kit but I used one like in your picture above for both the throttle and the chartplotter wires (battery power and transducer), so you could use the one with the kit to exit at the aft deck and keep the excess throttle cable tidy in the hull.

As to the motor, given your battery will be mounted on top of the hull, I would not route that cable in the hull at all. The cable on the motor itself is not very long and will likely not reach your crate. The provided battery-to-motor cable is very long and quite heavy. I would not want this coiled on my kayak. Torqeedo sells a 1M extension and I would just put that between the battery and motor cable, all above deck.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK so there's no way to do a thru hull plug for the male end of the power cord that goes to the battery.

I wanted to have 2 thru hull plugs for the power cord, then I guess use an extension cord to the battery so that it's entirely inside the hull and not messy around the seat area when I switch with the Mirage Drive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The connectors on the ends of the battery-to-motor cable are quite large so the holes for them to pass thru must be large which means normal kayak cable thru-hull wiring fittings may not work. The kit as delivered has only one custom thru-hull for this cable that mounts by the motor and the connector threads into it. You’ll need to measure the width of the connector and purchase a fitting that has a hole size that allows the connector to pass thru and properly seals the thick cable. Not a typical install but doable with some measuring.

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Last question...can I plug the Hobie Evolve motor directly to the battery without using the extension cord? Say I put the battery at the front of my Compass under the mesh netting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:16 am 
Site Admin

Seems you could... Not sure about the change in resistance and effect on the software. The onboard computer had some issues on a very early version related to the longer cable than what Torqeedo uses. The software expected responses in a fraction of time and a delay caused some kind of issue... I don't think going shorter would matter, but a heads up.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tested with a direct motor/battery connection before installing into the hull and this worked fine. There is only a little over 2’ of cable on the motor so, as I mentioned in an earlier post, you may want to purchase the 1M extension from Torqeedo. This will make insertion/removal of the motor assembly easier and reduce strain on the cable and connector if you can’t get the battery close enough.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

EVOLVE v2 MOTOR KIT - K NO BAT

Any estimate for when you will have this product back in stock?

Dealer said you guys are out of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bump