Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, i just disassembled my new Hobie FX one to get some fibreglass repair work done, and i thought i would replace the broken Striker Bar fastening (Atleasts thats what its called in the Parts guide). The previous owner gave me a spare one which he had lying around when i bought the boat. However i saw that the new one does not have wholes for the bolt under the dolphin striker and that got me abit confused. Is the bolt supposed to be there? Should i drill my own holes for the bolt? Should i just replace it without using the bolt? Do i even have the right spare part? Please see the attached pictures, Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’m not terribly familiar with the FX1, but I would say if your striker bar is loose enough to jump off of those tabs, then you’re running the striker way too loose. So I don’t know whether or not that bolt is supposed to be there, but it’s probably not really necessary. Is the bolt even called out in the parts guide (I don’t see it)?

My guess, the original owner got fancy, added the bolt, over-tightened it, and ended up cracking the casting.

Maybe drill the holes for a bolt but add a compression sleeve so it can’t be over-tightened.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bolt is aftermarket, for sure. Its not a mechanically strong design and you don't compress cast aluminum that way.

I wouldn't add it.