Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2016 Pro Angler 14???
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Currently in the market to upgrade to a Hobie and found a guy in my area selling his 2016 PA-16 at a very fair price. My question is what should I be looking for as far as defects are concerned? Are there any known issues with this year or model in general?

I did some searching and came across a few instances where scuppers were cracked from transporting, one person claimed a 5 inch crack under the seating area was “normal”, but not sure what to be specifically looking for on the drive. Just trying to make sure I don’t get screwed so any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No issues that I am aware of. I am currently in a 2016 PA14 and still loving it. The reversible Mirage Drive came out in 2017 and is the major upgrade. I do mostly big water fishing and have not missed the reverse gear at all, however.
That said, I like to upgrade every 4-5 yrs or so, just to keep up with resale value. If you dont mind, PM me with the 2016 prices that you are finding so I know where I am on market value now.
Good luck! Assuming you do a reasonable inspection on that particular yak, you should be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There are a few things I look for/ask in buying a used kayak. One is whether or not a scupper cart has been used. Personally I would not buy any used kayak if a scupper cart has been used more than a few times. If I see an add with a kayak and a scupper cart with it I will likely move on. Too many instances where these carts have resulted in cracks in the hull. If it has Boondox landing gear installed I would ask whether or not backing plates were installed inside the kayak. No backing plates is not good. Two I would ask where and how it's been stored. Storing a PA14 on it's side or on sawhorses can do harm to the hull. Obviously storing it outdoors can be hard on the integrity of the kayak. And finally I would ask if the seller has the MSO. Kayak theft (at least in my region) has become too common. I would hate to buy a used kayak and find out later it is stolen. Having the MSO helps rule out this question and also allows you to add a motor down the road if necessary as you would need the MSO if you have to register the kayak.

The 2016 GT pedal drive is a solid drive. Hold it up so you can hear any noises and pedal it with your hands. Any grinding or other noises or roughness means somethings not right.

Not sure what you're expecting to pay. For reference I bought a used 2016 PA14 last year. It was 2 years old but never been in the water so I didn't have to worry about a scupper cart being used, it was stored in an enclosed trailer on 3" PVC tubes and had a few accessories (extra center hatch bin, H-Bar, H-Rail tackle bin, a rod holder along with the accessories that come with the kayak when it was new). I paid $2200 for it. I'm seeing 2017's and 2018 PA14's (one in camo) for $3000 and they're not selling at that price. One 2018 even has a trailer.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you get.