Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey folks, I could use some prodding me towards one direction or the other for choosing my first peddle yak... I'm fairly sure the 2019 Outback or the Revo 13 is the way to go, but I've a few dozen Youtube reviews and twice as many forum posts later I'm still having trouble deciding. I've read a ton of threads on pre-2019 Outbacks VS the Revo, but not much on the 2 modern incarnations. I can rent PA's and Compasses, but no Revo's or Outbacks anywhere near me. At this point I'm torn between the Revo's handling of wind and chop VS the Outback's storage capacity/deck space and primary stability... The Outback is at the top of my "what I'm willing to clean and jerk onto a 4runner's roof limit", and the Revo 16 or a trailer would be tough to fit with my storage situation (AKA I don't want my wife to kill me after I further fill the garage), so at least that narrows it down to the two models.

* I'm 6'3", 205lbs.

* 90% of my fishing is for bass/striper on huge reservoirs in the Southeastern US. (Powerboat wake, decent size waves on windy days there's always 2-3mph winds at a minimum, up to around 14mph), the lake I fish most is just under 60 square miles in size).

* 10% of my fishing is saltwater on the SE US coast, mainly inshore to date but I'd like to get out on some reefs and wrecks on calm days... reds, specs, flounder are my normal targets.

* My current boat is a Kraken 13.5 which has been good, I like the weight and hull design, but I feel like I spend half the time I should be fishing paddling against the wind and trying to avoid death by jetski instead. I've researched peddle boats to death and Hobie seems like the clear winner.

* Currently I use under seat storage for a couple of Plano boxes, console storage for plastics and water/snacks/fish finder battery, and for bass fishing generally take 4 rods, cutting to 2-3 in the salt. Most days the tankwell just has the kayak cart currently, but I could go back to a crate like my last boat.

* I've been doing some light peddling in the gym to make sure it doesn't tick off my cranky knees/feet, and the results have been promising, especially with the movement on the Mirage drive looking like it should be very low impact. Outside of launching I might need to paddle occasionally but I don't think that'd be an issue with either boat.

Thanks in advance, and if there are other threads I missed on the 2019 Outback VS the Revo 13 please feel free to yell at me, I'm sure they're out there but my Google-Fu is failing me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Outback!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

IMO you would enjoy the Outback more hands down! The 2019 Outback could be the perfect fishing kayak as it fits so many styles of kayak fishing. If you're jigging or trolling the Outback is the better choice. Also the Revo doesn't have a lot of options for carrying or storing tackle. The Outback is heavier which is something to consider.

My choice would the Outback without any hesitation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Outback.

I made these comparison images last year when the new Outback was introduced:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rogerdodger wrote:
Outback.

I made these comparison images last year when the new Outback was introduced:

That's a really helpful image, thanks! It does look like the Outback would make more sense; going down to the amount of deck space on the Revo might be tough after a paddle yak all these years. I think I'll just suck it up and order one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I did this same thing last year...right before the current outback came out.

I ended up with the Revo and it was a great boat, but once the current outback was released I found myself looking that way a lot. It just seemed to do away with everything that I didn’t like about the old outback. I’ve since sold the Revo and purchased a 2019 outback and I find it to be a perfect fit. A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

spamcan wrote:

That's a really helpful image, thanks! It does look like the Outback would make more sense; going down to the amount of deck space on the Revo might be tough after a paddle yak all these years. I think I'll just suck it up and order one.

I think one of my conclusions last year from the images, before I got mine, was that it looked like they took the Revo bow, PA12 stern/rudder, then shaved about 3 inches right off the top and added all sorts of awesome features.

PS- I've had my Outback out on the ocean off the Oregon Coast five times since late-June, trolling for salmon and bottom fishing/crabbing. The boat is amazing. That said, if they introduce a redesigned Revo next year, I am confident it will also be amazing...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 2019 Outback and I really love it. I think the Revo 13 is still a faster hull, it is lighter and has a larger front hatch (easy to store rods internally), but otherwise, I think the newer design and features of the Outback are better.

Dual steering on the Outback is great. When I am sturgeon fishing I can use whichever hand is more convenient during a fight to adjust the rudder.

I use the rear H-track to mount my transducer (since I move it between a few different craft). Not sure if the Revo 13 comes with the 180 drive but I have found it to be invaluable (after being initially skeptical).

From what I have read and what I remember (from a demo years ago). The Outback has much better primary stability but the secondary stability of the Revo is superior. However, I fish on the Willamette River and during the summer and between wakeboats passing within 20' of me and the huge jetboat excursion tours (jetboats that hold about 50 people or so) the river is pretty rough. The Outback handles all that with ease - I have not felt like I have even come close to testing the primary stability limits.

The overall cockpit layout feels spacious in the Outback but a bit cramped on the Revo.

I am 6'4" and weigh 215lbs so size-wise we are similar. I have a friend who is minimalist in his approach to fishing and he loves his Revo 13. I am more of a maximalist and often bring everything I need to sturgeon fish and bass fish on a given day. I feel like the 2019 handles the load well (much better than my 2011 Outback which would get water in tank well when I was fully loaded).

In the end, they are both great craft and each has some advantages. You just need to figure out what is most important for you. Then pick the Outback :)

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928