Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought the sail kit for my inflatable, but the kit only works for the version of rigid kayaks. I can not return it since it was in liquidation and had been on display at a kayak school. Just pay $ 100 for that, then I want to modify it. Anyone who knows the mast measurement of the inflatable version? I can cut mine to my liking, but I want to do it well, at least take the approximate measurements.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:56 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Sail mast on top, standard mast on bottom -- looks like about 7.5" difference:

Keep in mind you need to sew stays into the sail to use it with an inflatable. Once cut, the mast no longer is usable for the rigid boats. If you decide to keep it, there is no reason to cut the mast -- the sail will just be a little taller -- and retain its versatility! If you decide to sell and get the inflatable sail kit,you should be able to easily get your money back (with an uncut mast).

BTW, the inflatable mast is a 3 piece unit (connected with bungees) so it can fold into the carrying bag -- little different than what you have. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Roadrunner

First of all, I appreciate the effort and work well done. You saved me hours looking for that information.

I'm really determined to adapt it for my inflatables, I have the i12s and the i14t, so now the inflatables are my priorities, if in the future I can have a better place to store, maybe I can choose to buy a rigid one, but not now. . I keep my Bravo in a friend's house and I know it can be annoying, although if I had to buy a rigid it would be a catamaran, the wave or gateway are my future options.

I put the sail on the i12s and it really does not look bad. As you can see, place the turnbuckles on the top of the mast and it seems to work well. Although I am going to sew a piece of strap where hobie is supposed to design this sail for an inflatable, that will not be a problem, I will also cut the mast as it should be.

Last edited by Krakatoa on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I started with the modification, I cut the mast 7.5 "and to avoid unnecessary tension to the sail, I screw a mast in an anchorage D to 76 cm, as shown in the photo.
I went to try it and it really worked very well. The only thing I miss is the speed control offered by the possibility of rolling the sail, but the only way to do it is to go back to the beginning, eliminate the anchor and place the tensioners on the top of the mast.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I know it's been while since this thread. How has this mod worked out for you? I got the same sail for cheap, and also have the same model i11.

Can you give any more guidance on how you were able to put the lines on the top, I'm not sure I want to cut a hole in the sail...