Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:41 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Rolling the Adventure Island along, fully rigged with gear (about 125 lb.?) can sure put a dent on your hull fast! Even if it pops out later, this can't be very speed enhancing while sailing, and couldn't be very good for the hull in the long term. So I decided to relieve the pressure if possible.

I got a pool noodle, sliced off a couple of two inch sections and drilled holes for installation on the cart. That turned out to be a giant waste of time. The holes self-enlarged and they floated off at first opportunity.

So when I saw my friend Josh the other day, I mentioned this to him. He had only two words to say on the subject -- "tennis balls". Brilliant, yet simple -- why didn't I think of that?

This transfers all the weight to the scupper holes, which are reinforced. No more dents! Here's what it looks like:

Got some old balls? Now you can put them to good use! Thanks, Josh! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ron

I guess great minds think alike :P

I managed to make the pool noodles work by placing 2 1" wide pieces on the top crossbar (one on left & one on right). Used the pool noodles that come with a hole and I split them down one side and used duct tape around them to hold them closed.

Added a 2nd pool noodle to the bottom axle just to add enough flotation to make the frame float even without the wheels.

I do like the tennis balls and bet they are more durable.

I have thought what is really needed is a correctly shaped hard stryofoam piece or a fiberglass piece with carpet. Something to perfectly match the contour of the hull and to be a little wider than the steel bar. Perhaps then you could temporarily store the assembled Island on the cart - say overnight without a problem.

On my 3 day trip I would have loved to leave the Island assembled on cart. Rather than breaking it down at the end of one day and assembling it the next.

RU Listening Hobie? How 'bout a making and selling a little hull shaped brace/sling that one can slip onto the existing cart frame. Should be EZ if you are already working on a AI tralier.

Yakaholic

Post subject: Balls
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:44 am 
Site Admin

The only caution I would have here is to be sure the cart inserts fully through the scuppers and out the top. If the cart uprights do not pass clear through and stop mid-scupper, you could fail the scupper from lateral loads.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:26 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Fortunately, there is still plenty of room to reach completely through the scuppers on the AI / Adventure. But for all other models, tennis balls would likely shorten the reach so that the plug-ins would no longer extend completely through the scupper holes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RR said:
Quote:
Got some old balls? Now you can put them to good use!

Now there's a leading question if ever I heard one! Mebbe we need a contest to see who can come up with the best follow-up--oops--never mind, belay that... :mrgreen:

Post subject: old what..
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Restraint of pen and tongue etc..etc
I was right there after it was posted and decided not to take the bait. Image

........Kepnutz.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah kep,
I held off as long as I could, but the debbil made me do it... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey RR, did you use a hole-saw to drill those tennis balls?

MMM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:43 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I mark, then slice an "X" on opposing sides of each ball with a box cutter or Xacto knife only large enough to force the ball on.

When mounted, one side of the ball collapses and the other has 4 triangular tabs sticking out. I trim these with the knife, reverse the ball, and do the other side, then slide the ball around so that neither side is collapsed.

This gives the balls a tight grip around the shaft and helps keep them from collapsing under the weight of the the heavier boats. There may be easier ways to do this, but this seems to work well -- still using the original balls.

stringy also uses a tight (custom fitted) stainless washer at the base of each ball to keep it from drooping over the crossbar. This is especially helpful with the heavier rigs like the 115# AI and Pro Angler. So if you find yours sagging a bit, you can perk them up with the washers. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used a 1 inch hole saw on my drill. Gives me nice uniform hole.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adding balls for suspension is one of the best improvements you can make to your cart. 8)
I have been using two sponge rubber balls on each post for quite a while now. I am wheeling my kayak about 8kms a week and they have proven to be durable.
As well as the stainless washer I have also added a larger perspex disc so the balls are better supported when compressed.
I am very happy with how the kayak sits on the cart now. :D
PS: The two balls work well with the Adventure which has a shallow deck. You need to be sure the end of the cart post is all the way through the hull if used with other models so that the scuppers aren't damaged. Check Roadrunners post extensions here:
viewtopic.php?t=7223&highlight=cart+tennis+balls+pvc