Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was wondering when storing your boat mast up, is it better to leave the rig tension loose or re-tighten it for longevity of the shrouds/sidestays?

Seems to me that if you re-tension it, it prevents the mast from flopping around and fatiguing the sidestays, but if you leave it loose then the sidestays aren't under a load. So I'm not sure which one is better. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You're right re preventing the mast from flopping around. In really extreme stuff, they'll even dismast if you don't. For lighter stuff and shorter term, you can hook the jib blocks to the chainplate at the bridle and use the jib sheet to tension the rig. Or, you can run a line underneath the tramp from shroud to shroud to pull them tight.A friend of mine rigged a set up like this using a block which he shackles to one adjuster, ties the line at the opposite side, thru the block and back. Hope this helps! Dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

turbofan wrote:
you can hook the jib blocks to the chainplate at the bridle and use the jib sheet to tension the rig

I do this all the time, every time. During a blow at our club, the loose rigs will flop like crazy, sometimes so violently I believe they'd flip if they weren't tied down. This shock loads the shrouds , hulls, etc. Better to have constant load on the stays....they handle much more load under sail.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Attach the jib halyard to Forestay chainplate , and tension the halyard like you would if you were hoisting jib.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Make sure to tie the boat down securely.
I stored my H16 mast up with a baby bob on a trailer for a number of years and tied it down with no issues until two years ago in a storm here in the UK the tether tie down came loose and to my astonishment the boat with trailer tipped over and holed a hull on a tie down post.

If one thinks about it the mast alone has a fair bit of surface area presented to the wind even without the bob on the top.

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My 16 has blown over before with a bare mast (Hurricane Matthew I think). Down in the OBX all of the regulars drop the masts when storms are coming.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a long bungee hooked onto each shroud about 3-4 feet above the rail and threaded under the back cleat (down haul cleat) on the mast. It keeps everything tight but there is a bit of give if needed.