Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compass Rudder Upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried searching but so far haven't found anything regarding a bigger rudder for the compass. I tested out a camo compass and while the rudder was enough for regular use it didn't inspire confidence that it would work for sailing or rougher conditions. I did figure out it doesn't turn at all when the rudder isn't deployed. I found that out pretty quick. But I'm going to buy the sail kit and I noticed the compass rudder is a bit different from the old upgraded "sailing" rudder. So if anyone of you have an insight I would very much appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I made this procedure on the new Outback 2019, but this rudder blade can also be put on Compass.
I've adapted big rudder blade from Pro Angler :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:44 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

johnnybravo wrote:
I made this procedure on the new Outback 2019, but this rudder blade can also be put on Compass.
Great idea! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fantastic! Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know how to remove compass rudder? Not sure if it's similar to the new Outback but it's different than the PA.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="johnnybravo"]I made this procedure on the new Outback 2019, but this rudder blade can also be put on Compass.

You rocks bro. Absolutely amazing! 8) 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I put a Hobie Large Pro Angler rudder on my 2020 Hobie Mirage Compass Duo and it works great. To do so, you will need to do some cutting with either a band saw, jig saw, or scroll saw so that it will mount into the rudder bracket and still be able to use the spring to hold the rudder down. I used my band saw. You'll also need to cut about 3/8 of an inch off the front of the rudder blade so that it will comfortably clear the vertical face of the keel. Then use a flat rasp to quickly put an edge of the front of the blade where you cut it and then sand the edge with progressively higher grit sand paper until you get it smooth. But basically, you just use the original rudder as a template for cutting, not hard to do. It made a big difference in handling my Mirage Compass Duo since I run it with the sail kit, in addition to my wife and dog onboard. Took me probably about an hour and a half to do the upgrade. I took several pictures of the process and the end result, but I just can't figure how to add pictures to this forum (sorry, I'm not real computer savvy). Be happy to post them if someone can walk me through how to do so.