Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello Gents,

I went to move my boat yesterday but had an issue with the boom setup so thought better of it with only 2hours of day light and 20 miles of coast to cover. I am sure i would have made it with 14 knots and a broad reach! but. i haven't rigged the boat for 5-6 years and could remember of possibly not find all the bits for the down haul. at first i thought the down haul fitted onto the loop at the boom attachment but surly this would stress it too much. I think there is a fitting that is missing lower down the mast.

The mainsail halyard ran through a block that was riveted at the base of the mast. this pulled out due to what looks like electrolysis and some aluminium decay so will have to figure something out here as there isn't too much meat left where the block was attached. Any ideas on this.

The boom attaches to the mast and the mast rotater i think should attach to the setup on the boom that has a rope and a cleat which then splits to to ropes with stainless rings at the end of each. i can't remember how this sets up??

Also, i looked at a couple of pictures of your boats and some have the mast bob and some don't. I have currently removed mine as i have had to build a new pole as the last one got bent. This has been done but on removing the old one i realised that the rivets were solid so i am trying to source these and will roll the boat over and fit at a later date. I just want to move it to its new home before the winter sets in here. but. do you guys sail with or without the bob.

Did a full rebuild of the wings too. full strip down and re-rivet. all holes drilled out to 6.5mm holes. hopefully they all hold together.

Boom setup and downhaul is the crucial bit for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out the Board Index for the 21 and you will find that info under FAQ section. Look under boat assembly sec.17 for a diagram.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Bill,

What about the second clam cleat along the boom which has the double lines and stainless rings on?

Is your downhaul setup as per assembly setup? I dont have any metal work at the bottom of my mast, just wondered if anyone has any different ideas on this. I would have though having the ability to adjust the downhaul would be good. ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The original tiny blocks were damaged by the boom as the boom would collide into they if over rotated.

So I added a pair of cheek blocks on the mast to use that works fine.

Those parts on the boom were used as a cunningham to control the slot between the jib and the main sail. This was achieved with the use of a stainless steel ring that pull the jib sheet towards the mast. One ring per side. I abandon this system to simplify my rigging. I did try different variations but abandon those too again to simplify my rigging.

I hope this is helpful. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If any one has any pictures of thier downhaul setup please.

And does anyone run without a bob at the top of the mast.