Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been using a jib as you've described for a couple years now and for the most part it works well. I use a separate snuffer bag on each side, one for the jib and one for the spin. I had more power in the jib when I attached the jib head to a cavas tag 2/3 the way up the mast but I have more flexibility simply using the same rigging as the spin. Quick releases are used at all points of attachment to the jib.

Greg

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

Last edited by vetgam on Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my 3 TI’s we had 2 halyard lines, (not complicated or difficult to do) one for the jib and one for the spin. Took about 30 seconds to switch from jib to spin and visa versa, the jib we used 95% of the time, and used the spinnaker 5% of the time, and at times on a 90 degree reach or slightly downwind, we had all three sails flying, (over 250 sq ft of sail out).
We modified our spinnakers into a soft wing, (double walled similar to an air filled para-foil) to prevent it from luffing and collapsing when trying to sail upwind, (we could sail around 30-35 degrees off the wind, upwind with the spinnaker).
We had a lot of fun experimenting with different stuff, and used the heck out of our TI’s.
FE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Vetgam could you show us the quick release system that you used to swap from the spi to the jib?

which jib shapes did you try? I am thinking that maybe a small jib similar to the one used by the hobie cat should work better, or not?
I will probably have the chance to try a job from another dinghy (Flying junior) because i have a friend who can give it to me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sardinian Islander wrote:
Vetgam could you show us the quick release system that you used to swap from the spi to the jib?

which jib shapes did you try? I am thinking that maybe a small jib similar to the one used by the hobie cat should work better, or not?
I will probably have the chance to try a job from another dinghy (Flying junior) because i have a friend who can give it to me.

I use snap shackles at the head and tack of the sail. I use a rope and plastic ball at the clew. This keeps me from getting clobbered by a metal shackle. You can see my previous post by doing a search for " Clew Quick Release" and the author Vetgam. Hopefully you can see the pics.

I have tride both a 100 and a 110 jib. I prefer the 110. My jib goes up about 3/4 of the way to the masthead. I agree with FE, I use the jib way more than the Spin.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6