Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: TI Carrying Capacity
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I reached out to Hobie Europe and they confirmed they had received some 2020 Islands. However, they still bear the old sticker, without any change in terms of crew capacity. I somehow expected the modification to have been implemented before they started to sell the 2020 version. I just hope Hobie doesn't need to wait until 2021 to release a new sticker...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, there! Could any Tandem Island 2020 owner confirm if the decal specifies that two additional crew members can ride on the trampolines? A Hobie staff member on the phone confirmed that the sticker for the Tandem Island 2020 model would include this modification, but the website still states a crew of 1-2 for the TI.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chess wrote:
Hi, there! Could any Tandem Island 2020 owner confirm if the decal specifies that two additional crew members can ride on the trampolines? A Hobie staff member on the phone confirmed that the sticker for the Tandem Island 2020 model would include this modification, but the website still states a crew of 1-2 for the TI.

I can confirm this. I just purchased a used 2020 Hobie Tandem Island manufactured in March of 2020. I could post a picture of the yellow stickers but I don't see how to do that on this platform :roll: . Their are two yellow stickers on my Hobie. One says "Maximum Capacity 2 persons or 600LBS," etc. The other yellow sticker right next to it says "HOBIE CAT CO., Category D, 4 persons if equipped with trampolines" etc.
If anyone can coach me on how to get a picture posted here I would be happy to post pictures of the stickers :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you very much for the heads up, Heysteveh.

I have also received a confirmation that the 2021 model will bear a sticker with the increased crew capacity, as well as upgraded motor capacity. By the way, I could be wrong, but my impression is that the sticker will be available separately, so it could be added to a previous TI model. That is great news, as it would cover the legal use of the Torqeedo Ultralight 1103 or Travel 1103, for example. So now, my big doubt is whether the 2021 TI hull will have any modifications that might make it easier to mount any of these motors. Fingers crossed!

And thank you veeeeeery much, Hobie, for having listened to our requests to update the stickers!!! That's what I was waiting for to purchase my first TI. :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

heysteveh wrote:
Chess wrote:

I can confirm this. I just purchased a used 2020 Hobie Tandem Island manufactured in March of 2020. I could post a picture of the yellow stickers but I don't see how to do that on this platform :roll: . Their are two yellow stickers on my Hobie. One says "Maximum Capacity 2 persons or 600LBS," etc. The other yellow sticker right next to it says "HOBIE CAT CO., Category D, 4 persons if equipped with trampolines" etc.
If anyone can coach me on how to get a picture posted here I would be happy to post pictures of the stickers :mrgreen: .

I use imgur.com - if you make an account there you can upload images then get the direct link (right click the image and click Copy image link) and you can paste it here

if you want to embed it in your post, click the little button above where you type the text in your reply "Img"

e.g.
Code:
Insert Image: [img]http://IMAGEURL.com/file.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Chess: my impression is that the sticker will be available separately

I hope so, that would be really good if so!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chess wrote:
Thank you very much for the heads up, Heysteveh.

I have also received a confirmation that the 2021 model will bear a sticker with the increased crew capacity, as well as upgraded motor capacity. By the way, I could be wrong, but my impression is that the sticker will be available separately, so it could be added to a previous TI model. That is great news, as it would cover the legal use of the Torqeedo Ultralight 1103 or Travel 1103, for example. So now, my big doubt is whether the 2021 TI hull will have any modifications that might make it easier to mount any of these motors. Fingers crossed!

And thank you veeeeeery much, Hobie, for having listened to our requests to update the stickers!!! That's what I was waiting for to purchase my first TI. :P

Here is photo of the yellow stickers on My 2020 Tandem Island manufactured in March of 2020 showing 4 people allowed with trampolines. Interesting to note that the stick figures Seem to indicate 2 adults and 2 kids. (hope this works):

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are there any changes between the 2020 labels shown below (from heysteveh) and those on the 2022 Tandem Islands? Like the motor wattage (now 1100W in the manual) and maximum persons on the US (non-CE) label?

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I picked up a used 2021 Hobie TI (in the USA). I have just about completed my modifications of the TI for offshore sailing.

Capacity label .... is .... interesting.... Total person capacity is reduced from my 2016 TI (600 lbs) to the 2021 TI (550 lbs).

The electron capacity did increase from 400 watts to 1.1 KW (1100 W). Figure those electrons must be a bit on the chubby side. ;-)

The total capacity (people, motors, gear) remains at 600 lbs.

Total persons without tramps = 2

Total persons with tramps = 4

I add extra flotation to my TI to provide a bigger safety margin for offshore sailing .... approaching 700 lbs.

Love the Cali P65 warnings....reproductive harm.... please explain!

https://flic.kr/p/2nxEwvi

Image2022-07-11_10-30-19 by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thank you!

Each Vantage CT seat has a capacity of 275 lbs so that means a maximum of 550 passenger lbs which, I guess, is why Hobie reduced it on the label while keeping the total capacity at 600 lbs.

Good to see the motor size has increased from 400 to 1100w though odd that the CE label still shows 400w.

If anyone can post the 2022 labels it would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

plfinch wrote:
Thank you!

Each Vantage CT seat has a capacity of 275 lbs so that means a maximum of 550 passenger lbs which, I guess, is why Hobie reduced it on the label while keeping the total capacity at 600 lbs.

Good to see the motor size has increased from 400 to 1100w though odd that the CE label still shows 400w.

If anyone can post the 2022 labels it would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Here you go- picked her up last night. Made in August so fresh from the factory.

https://imgur.com/a/LXfLYHs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thank you so much fletchb! And congrats on the new kayak.

- 4 persons or 600 lbs including motor/gear (changed from 2021's 2 persons or 550 lbs, 600 including motor/gear)
- 1100W maximum motor (carry over from 2021)

Interesting that only the CE label makes mention of trampolines for 4 persons, and it still shows a 400W maximum motor.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 600lb capacity is about it for these boats, otherwise they sit too low in the water and are very sluggish, ( and an extremely wet ride).
We overloaded our many times, with a ton of people on board, the boat is only good for a short joy ride in very protected water, ( we did that all the time).
If at max I would be very concerned about the aka bars strength in any kind of waves. Let alone trying th steer the darn thing, forget about upwind sailing when overloaded, ( it ain’t gonna happen, lol).
I glad they got the stickers straightened out, though we never had any issues with the law regarding capacity..
FE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

plfinch wrote:
Thank you so much fletchb! And congrats on the new kayak.

- 4 persons or 600 lbs including motor/gear (changed from 2021's 2 persons or 550 lbs, 600 including motor/gear)
- 1100W maximum motor (carry over from 2021)

Interesting that only the CE label makes mention of trampolines for 4 persons, and it still shows a 400W maximum motor.

Peter

Thanks! Looks like Hobie saw this thread and listened to you guys! Not sure if I will do 4 but 3 for sure once I save some more $$ for the tramps...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie monitors all the threads, and makes a lot of improvements based on users suggestions and advise. However sometimes legal issues, liabilities, or industry standards get in the way. The TI is an entry level boat, and they try to target the biggest market.
The hobie forums contain a wealth of useful information, and is pretty unique in itself.

What I like about the TI’s is they are easily adaptable to whatever floats your boat, ( always wanted to say that, (lol)). My interest was off shore, (mostly in the keys) so I heavily modified my own boats to be able to go long distances offshore in most conditions that we would likely encounter. And be able to go long distances very fast no matter what the conditions are. Not everyone wants to do that, or to try to use the boat as a scuba dive boat, which saved us huge amounts of money vs charters, or trying to maintain our old 24ft searay, ( which cost a fortune in storage and fuel, let alone the initial cost of the boat).
But that was our thing,everybody has their own interests and hobbys. The TI is truly a magnificent invention and unique in the industry. I had to sell mine for health reasons, but while I could, I had the best time of my life with ours.
Thank you Hobie.
FE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next