Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Am updating my old V1 drive hub to GT hub. Old drive had cast metal hub and solid bar cranks. Crank was held in with a pounded in clevis pin that was approximately 1/4 " short of back of hub (thus no split ring could be attached). New gray GT hub has an unthreaded 5/16" hole on the inside. Outside hub hole is 3/8" and the solid cranks are a tight 3/8" hole. How do you attach old solid cranks to new GT gray hub? Do I need to purchase a bolt? How are threads cut into hub? Do I need to tap threads in there? Or if I use the too short clevis pin, can that be pounded into the 5/16" hub hole without the hub splitting?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:29 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Catawba, welcome to the forum. When you say "hub", do you mean these?

If so, these drums do use a bolt. It looks like this might be what you are looking for. I believe it is self tapping.

8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Roadrunner,

Yes that is what I mean by the hub. If the bolt is self tapping, I can drill out the pedal crank just a little bit so it will pass through and then allow the bolt to cut the threads in the new plastic hub. Current crank is a pound in 3/8” fit (no corrosion in existing hole). The original owner has passed so I cannot find out if that pounded in short clevis pin was original or if it was a modification/repair done by the original owner.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did this and have the old solid shanks in replacement GT hubs. Bolt just self taps. With the previous style I believe by having the bolt slotting through it use to wear and oval the hole. By being ridged self tapping there is no movement wear. I would try pound bolt through until you can get enough purchase to self tap. Dont drill out unless absolutely necessary. Again same reason for tight fit is that any looseness can induce wear. Even if you have to pound while you turn it to get it to bite. You can start this off before assembling drive if you prefer, just to get it started, unscrew, then assemble drive and as you have already started to tap thread you can finish without having to pound on fully assembled drive