Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to Forum (this is 1st post!) so bear with me please!

Looking for history of what versions Hobie's produced of their Mirage Drive device.

I'm building a CLC Waterlust Expedition canoe:

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/can ... canoe.html

- and want to source the proper Mirage Drive unit before I get into assembling the components it has to fit into.

Looking at versions available on-line I'm confused by V1, V2, 180, GT, GTT descriptions and which may or may not fit!

Seems the latest 180 won't so maybe GT or GTT versions (the second T means Turbo paddles?) are what I should look for?

Any and all help be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe that all of the mirage versions you listed should fit the same. (same or 98% similar wells) The only one that would not fit would be the newest 360 drive.

(Ive made some simple mirage wells in the past for various boats/paddleboards and haven't had any issues with V-1 all the way up to M180)

The TT (Turbo fins) are just longer fins- nothing to worry about. The GT versions are a little smoother/have ball bearings.

I would purchase based on what deals you find as (in my opinion) the differences are somewhat minor. I currently own V1, V2, GT, M180. Obviously, you would want the newest drive, however nothing wrong with a V2 Turbo drive found at a good price if you do not need reverse.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your insights VaBeach1! That gives me confidence that the GT I found NIB was "A Good Buy"!

Didn't come with a manual however (or mounting blocks which I guess don't come with the drives themselves but I did find on-line yesterday!) so I'll be looking to find that now maybe from Hobie or another user who can spare theirs.

Decided being able to reverse wasn't worth the additional cost involved. Understand the design I'm fitting the drive to could be modified to work with the reverse selection mechanism but as this watercraft is nowhere near ready to launch it's way premature thinking reverse would ever be of great value when I need only to stow a shortish paddle aboard for such times as might happen.