Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder problems
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have sailed my new (used) TI twice now and I have had some issues with the rudder.

First, it doesn't seem to turn as easily or as sharply as I would like. There seems to be a lot of pressure on the tiller handle. I've double checked that the rudder is all the way down and it is, so I am not sure what the issue might be.

Second, the rudder is difficult to raise into the up/stowed position. It seems like the lines get stuck and it is very difficult. Yesterday, it got stuck and wouldn't move. I worked the lines back and forth a bit and it finally came loose.

Any tips on how to solve these issues? Do the lines need to be lubricated somehow? Maybe with sailkote?

Post subject: Re: Rudder problems
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sometimes the up/down lines get twisted inside the boat. Others are better at fixing this, all I ever had to do is pull the up then down quickly a few times and the twist seemed to correct itself. If you open the rear hatch and feel along the lines you may find it. I found that when trailering using a strap to hold the rudder up and then releasing the line helped. But make sure to reset the line before unloading or you could break the rudder pin.

Maybe we will see you in March, bringing the hobie down for a few weeks. We will be in various waterfront campsites, hope to sail with you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same issue when I bought mine. Look inside the boat at the lines, easier said than done but try a phone in the boat and an ipad outside on Facetime. I found the lines were severely twisted. It seems every time the up or downhaul handle were used, half a turn was put into the system. Looking at the inside I was able to untangle the lines by twisting the handles. It takes a bit of fiddling around but you know when its right. There is also a bit of shock cords in there which keeps tension in the system, make sure it's OK.Then a bit of silicone lubricant and no more problems. If you need a lot of force to turn the rudder, and it's fully down, you probably need to reef.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is not that uncommon with TIs due to the second set of controls msaking things more complicated below deck.

I solved my problems (rudder up-line) by undoing the turning block forward of the control handle, adding enough extra line to reach the new position for the turning block (next to the forward hatch opening), and importantly, adding a swivel (get one for fishing lines). The lines now no longer develop a twist, and the rudder goes up an ddown with a satisfying bang.