Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just picket up my first cat today. A Hobie 21SE. It is pretty large and I would like to store it inside a storage building over the winter, but I need to find a way to make it take minimal space. Also, I don't want to take it apart too much. Obviously the mast is removed.

So have come up with two ideas.
1. Flip it up against the wall and store it standing on one hull. I could tie up the upper hull to take some weight of the lower hull.
2. Lift it straight up close to the ceiling using rope and pulleys attached to the ceiling. It would then hoover above my powerboat taking up no floor space at all.

Have any of you tried any of these ideas or do you have better ideas?

Hobie Cat 21SE #376

Last edited by dhaglund on Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This guy did your option 2 with a Hobie wave:

http://panofish.net/garage-boat-lift/

(note the safety/engineering reference)

You must have a huge garage or storage building to consider doing something similar with a 21SE!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't the crossbars on the 21 come off by just pulling out the taper pins and sliding the hulls apart (with the tramp removed of course)?

I've suspended a 14 from a garage ceiling before and it was a bit hairy. Doesn't seem like a lot of weight until it's swinging five or six feet off the ground. I'm sure a 21 could be done, but it's not a feat to be taken lightly (no pun intended).

Putting the boat on its side could work, but again, it's a lot of weight to deal with and the bottom hull will need to be well supported so it isn't damaged.

For the past several years, I have been disassembling my boats for winter. When I had room in my garage, I built a rack to stack the individual hulls vertically against a wall. Now I just flip them over outside and cover with a tarp. So that would be my recommendation. If taking the hulls apart isn't that much extra work, it may be an easier solution in the long run.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to keep my first Hobie, a Hobie 17, suspended from my garage ceiling. I couldn't fit the boat on the trailer inside the garage, so I kept the mast on a rack on the side of my house, hoisted the boat off the trailer, and rolled the trailer all the way back. It just fit, allowing me to close the garage door. Amazingly, I could get everything on the trailer and tied down to drive to the lake, in about 10 minutes!

I had to have the blocks for the bow set back 8 feet, so the garage door had room to open. This made hoisting the front of the boat much more difficult than the stern. If you have the weight distributed evenly, and use good quality blocks with an appropriate mechanical advantage, it won't be difficult to hoist. Good blocks are pricey, though.

(I just looked at the photos of the system for the Wave. Cool. Way over-engineered, but cool.)
I had 4 webbing straps sewn to D rings by my local shoe repair place, sized to fit around the hulls comfortably. I hung 4 to 1 blocks at each corner of the boat, from the 2 x 6 ceiling joists in the garage. I had 2 cleats on the wall, so I would hoist the front of the boat a couple of feet, cleat it off, then hoist the back and cleat it, alternating until it was fully raised. For a 21, I expect you'll want 6:1 blocks at least.

I now rent a storage garage for my sailboats, and keep them on their trailers ready to go. I use the pulley systems now for kayaks. I seem to have a boating problem...

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok. So I ended up using option 2 (see first post). I took a while since I had to get a couple of right size trees, mill the logs, wait for the logs to dry some and then mill a new log because the first one had worms etc. Anyway the lift is done. Now I just have to get lifting ropes that are the right length.

Here are a few pictures.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VXNMctVdrRUQ8PHy5

Up next is making a general purpose trailer from an old caravan that I scrapped. And that trailer should also be able to hold the cat.

Hobie Cat 21SE #376