Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an Hobie 14 and would want to add a jib. Can someone teel me if this brings realy an improvement to the hobie performance. I wanted to convert my hobie 14 to a turbo. But It seems very expensive for an old boat. The best scenario for me would to modify an old sail to the proper dimentions and to modify the boat to accept the jib. Can some one tell me what is the best way to do it? What are the dimentions of the jib sail? Is the jib block support(reinforcement)is realy necessary? Do I need to change my bridles lenght? Whay kind of shakles or blocks is needed? Is the jib furling so important?

Thanks for the help!!!

Kev

Post subject: 14 conversion
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

email [email protected] and he has instructions on the easiest way to convert a 14 to a 'turbo' jib rig.

Post subject: hobie 14
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have sent an e-mail but no response, if you have other suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kev

Post subject: Turbo conversion
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kev,

I thought I responded! If not, here goes:

The jib does add some performance, but mainly down wind. It also helps when tacking especially if you have a really raked back mast. It is a small sail and an afterthought at that. I have heard that some people furl the jib upwind when racing because they can point better. I really can't comment on that. The bottom like (and it sounds like I'm contradicting myself) is that it makes is a more enjoyable boat.

To do the conversion, you need to shorten the bridles. Check out:
http://www.nahca.org/hobies/hobie14_linelengths.htm for length details.

You don't necessarily need the jib block support wires and can mount the jib blocks to the adjuster on the side stays. I wouldn't recommend that, but it is a solution. The blocks attach to the wire through the trampoline and give a pretty good location to control the slot between the sails.

Fuling is a matter of preference. Hobie advertized the Turbo with a furler so you can furl it in heavy winds. Personally, I don't think it is necessary. I have rigged my beach 14s like little 16s and lost the capacity to furl the jib. I have never missed it. I think the real mental hazard is that the stock 14 Turbos used the jibstay as the forestay, so you had to have the jib up all the time. If you furled it, it was protected form wind and UV.

You might be able to get another sail and cut it down, but I haven't heard of a lot of people having luck doing so and I don't think you would save a lot of money after paying someone to reshape the sail. I still have one discounted new jib left.

Hope this helps!

Dan