Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone, loving my new to me 2018 Hobie Wave. I've taken it out three times with bigger winds each time. Unfortunately, as I was driving up the boat ramp after pulling it out of the water, a huge gust picked the boat half off the trailer (the sail had already been stowed away) and I ended up dragging it about 10 feet or so on the back of the left hull on the keel. The keel got a good dose of road rash... am I correct in assuming that this is nothing more than cosmetic damage? Does anyone know how thick the plastic is at the bottom of the hulls?

Looking for advice...should I sand it down?, add epoxy? or just leave it as is? Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by Vinyl_Aardvark on Tue May 19, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated. For some reason I was seeing them on my computer, but sure enough on a different device... nada. Hopefully you should see the pics now.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My thoughts are do not sand. Don't want to remove any more material. I find myself using JB weld on LOTS of things in the garage. Seems to stick to most everything but it doesn't get as hard as I would like for good wear properties. Its overwhelming how many epoxys are out there.
I have heard of plastic welding, we will see what others come up with. Steve C.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The hull is polyethylene, epoxy will not adhere to it. Just leave it as is - not going to hurt anything.

sm

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

G Flex from West is pretty good. Getting anything to stick to polyethylene is going to be tough. And I'm told you can't do plastic welding on a Wave because it's cross linked, unlike kayaks. Or maybe that's vice versa, but it can't be plastic welded I'm told. If you want to buy a plastic welder I have one I bought for exactly the same thing. Then was told, probably on this forum, about the cross link deal. I used some G Flex on a a badly ripped chainplate and that boat is till gong strong,

YMMV

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice on the G Flex, plastic welding, and the properties of the plastic material. I guess the benefit of using G Flex would be to fill it back in and round it off as best to the original shape...as long as it adheres.

Does anyone know the thickness of the plastic at the end of the keel/skeg? And whether it's truly solid or is it still hollow at that point?