Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want to glue the comptip and mast together, but I've long since lost the epoxy kit that came with my Wave. I have West System epoxy in my shop. Will that work? What do people recommend I use?

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by kglidden on Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

West Six10. Pre thickened, dispenses using a caulk gun, self-mixing, super easy to use, about $20 for a tube.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used the G/Flex and have had no issues after a year. Below is cut and pasted from their website (i liked the expansion/contraction/shock/vibration benefits):

G/flex 650 is a toughened, versatile, liquid epoxy for permanent waterproof bonding of fiberglass, ceramics, metals, plastics, damp and difficult-to-bond woods. With a modulus of elasticity of 150,000 PSI, it is a bit more flexible than standard epoxies and polyester, but much stiffer than adhesive sealants. This gives it the ability to make structural bonds that can absorb the stress of expansion, contraction, shock, and vibration. It is ideal for bonding dissimilar materials. It can be modified with WEST SYSTEM fillers and additives and used to wet-out fiberglass tapes and fabrics. Mixed at a 1:1 ratio, this 2-part epoxy gives you 46 minutes of pot life at 72°F and an open (working) time of 60-75 minutes. It reaches an initial cure in 3 to 4 hrs and a workable cure in 7-10 hours.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks SRM,

I followed your advice and glued the mast yesterday. Yes, Six10 is super easy to work with. Thanks!

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mike2sail,

Thanks as well. It sounds like G/Flex and Six10 are similar. I love the long working time of both.