Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,

Recently upgraded to the Torqeedo world. It looks like mounting it out of the box requires both drilling into the stern and also possible having to remove the h-rail handle on the back, neither of which I want to do.

I have tried to google mounting plates, and did find the one at innovativesportsman, does anyone have any links to other types of mounting? Possible one that goes through the mirage drive?

Thank you in advance,
Josh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

EmeraldEsq wrote:
Hey guys,

Recently upgraded to the Torqeedo world. It looks like mounting it out of the box requires both drilling into the stern and also possible having to remove the h-rail handle on the back, neither of which I want to do.

I have tried to google mounting plates, and did find the one at innovativesportsman, does anyone have any links to other types of mounting? Possible one that goes through the mirage drive?

Thank you in advance,
Josh

Josh from what I'm told if you bought the 1103 ac Ultralight with the mounting plate as shown in the link below it should mount in the 4 mounting points already on the kayak for a power pole. No drilling into the kayak necessary. You will still have to attached the steering cables but you just need to drill through the black cover plate for that and not the kayak.
https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/produ ... gJPivD_BwE

If not you may need this. https://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Angler-Pow ... B00IKFLTF2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice! I'll see if I can find one of those available. I guess the ones at innovative sportsman will be available this week or the next. I do have that bracket in the pictures, I'll be excited to install it without having to drill those four holes!

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Swfinatic ........... I don’t think that mount will do for the 1103. The 1103 is WONDERFUL but it is heavy. The best mount for the 1103 that I’ve seen is the one from Innovative Sportsman. It’s the one I got and the one that I know most of the guys I know use. Jus Sayin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Memory Maker wrote:
Swfinatic ........... I don’t think that mount will do for the 1103. The 1103 is WONDERFUL but it is heavy. The best mount for the 1103 that I’ve seen is the one from Innovative Sportsman. It’s the one I got and the one that I know most of the guys I know use. Jus Sayin

Gotcha. Didn't realize it's heavier than it's smaller brother.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I installed the 1103AC on the PA12 2012 and so far there are no problems. Here is a video I made in timelapse. The PA is after the 34th second.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

johnnybravo wrote:
I installed the 1103AC on the PA12 2012 and so far there are no problems. Here is a video I made in timelapse. The PA is after the 34th second.

Thanks. I couldn't tell in the video did you connect the rudder steering to the 1103? I would think the steering would be hampered some if the motor was just locked straight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The owner wanted the motor to be locked straight, but I have a very good idea for clean install of two steering lines.

2 x 80025001 LINE CONTROL ASSY - (1) LINE A

2 x 8030111 SCREW 10-32 X 1 PHMS-P SS

2 x 8050201 NUT 10-32 NYLOCK LOPRO

2 x 81029 LOOP STRAP, 1/4" OD, NYLON

For this purpose I have to drill two small holes in the transom of the kayak and insert them both 80025001 LINE CONTROL ASSY.

The 80025001 LINE CONTROL ASSY fix not to move with 81029 LOOP STRAP, 1/4 "OD, NYLON inside of the hull with one screw (8030111) and nut (8050201)

Then I connect additional extension cords to the lines with this knot:

And finally I tie the extensions to the steering crank.

I'm sorry if I don't explain well, but I hope the photos will help. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's pretty slick! Great job on the pics and details. Only part I'm not a fan of is the holes at the rear of the boat. I know on my Revo 13 water does come in through the similar holes for the rudder lines at the back of the boat in choppy conditions. However I understand the motor has enough torque where you can't connect to the rudder lines like many do with the 403A.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Swfinatic wrote:
That's pretty slick! Great job on the pics and details. Only part I'm not a fan of is the holes at the rear of the boat. I know on my Revo 13 water does come in through the similar holes for the rudder lines at the back of the boat in choppy conditions. However I understand the motor has enough torque where you can't connect to the rudder lines like many do with the 403A.

Thanks.

I mentioned the torque but that is just a guess. I haven’t heard of anyone trying it yet. You just have to drill 2 holes that align a line to go from the steering drum to the steering triangle.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've seen the Torqeedo rep mount foot pegs on a PA14 so he could attach foot control rudder steering to the foot pegs. He said the torque on the 1103 is too much to connect to the PA's rudder steering drum like most do with the 403.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also installed a 35lb torqeedo monster on my pa12. You don't have to drill holes but do have t o (buy/construct a substantial brace to support the motor or it will tear right thru the glass. I made one out of diamondbrite 1/4in plate. I used the 4 screw holes and a bracket on the rail. The motor is stable. The problem is steering. Turning that big motor when it's under power is difficult. If you talk to Jeff Little (troubleshooter for torqeedo) he will suggest foot steering systems. One can generate more torque with those. I wanted to pedal assist so that doesn't work for me.
If you are still interested I can send pictures
Gene Pontecorvo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OneObjective also make a plate to setup your 1103 Torqeedo motor.

https://www.oneobjectivebf.com/store/p9 ... nts.html#/