Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased an 18 and am looking at mast stepping options. I would prefer to support Hobie and go with the Mast Stepper III but it is designed for the Getaway mast. I don't know if it can be modified for the 18.

The gin pole attaches to the mast base with a special bracket designed to fit the Getaway -

There are several Youtube videos with DIY versions of the same concept. They look easy enough to fabricate but the main challenge is the attachment of the gin pole to the mast base. This person used PVC pipe and just notched it to fit the mast. It looks like he used a bungee to secure it to the mast. I'm not sure how reliable that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VEx8-xIzw4

I am thinking about making one using 2” steel conduit for the gin pole and this bracket for the base attachment. The bracket could probably be modified with a rubber pad and bent to fit the mast. This would be similar to the Hobie bracket. Has anyone made something like this?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Seems like a whole lot of work. Just stand inside the diamonds and pick it up

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TAMUmpower wrote:
Seems like a whole lot of work.

Not only that, it seems like a whole lot of opportunity for something to go wrong - causing damage or injury.

I agree, if you haven't already tried (and assuming you're in reasonably good health), I would suggest just attempting to manually lift the mast. This can be done relatively easily with two adults. Connect the mast step pin and make sure all shrouds are connected and running clear. One person lifts the mast tip, and hands it up to the other person standing on the boat at the back of the tramp. If that person is strong enough, they can just lift the mast into position. If they aren't strong enough, then the person that was at the tip walks up onto the boat and then both people raise the mast. Once it's up, one person holds it there while the other jumps down and pins the forestay. This is much quicker and safer than using a gin pole IMO.

Another good option is to simply connect one of the trap wires or the main halyard to a winch on your mast stand. Do the same thing as the manual lift, where one person lifts the mast tip up to the person standing on the tramp. Then, after the mast is handed off, instead of the person at the tip walking up onto the boat, they can go start cranking the winch. The person on the tramp only needs to support the mast weight for a short period of time while the mast is near horizontal. Once its up a little bit, the crank will take over and all the person on the tramp does is guide it so it doesn't swing side to side.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TAMUmpower wrote:

Thanks. I had never thought of that :)

Well, I'm dealing with a hernia at the moment. I have a scrawny wife as my only crew. I'm in a rural area the boat launch is down a gravel road and rarely has anyone that could help.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TAMUmpower wrote:

Yeah, no. When I was younger and stronger, I did. Now that I'm old and feeble, I need mechanical assistance. I use the Mast Stepper III for my Getaway.

I made a gin pole from an 8' long 2x4 for my Hobie 17, back some time ago. Cut it to match the curve of the mast, lined it with inner tube rubber, drilled through for a rope to tie it in place. Used the trap wires for stabilizers, and also had a rope going to each edge of the dolphin striker to stabilize. Worked well, cost little.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. Did you find that the 2x4 was beefy enough? I would prefer to use metal but that brings in the problem of securing the base to the mast.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh, yeah. The load is compressive, and a 2x4 is plenty strong enough. I used the trap wires to support the mast laterally, and a rope triangle to support the gin pole laterally. I bolted eyebolts through the 2x4 to attach the forestay to, and the winch hook.

When I had my H17, I had more time than money, so I built my own gin pole system, beach wheels (using a 30 gallon plastic drum for a single roller in the middle of the boat), plywood sail box for the trailer, and rear mast support (which I'm going to duplicate for my Getaway because it's so much better that the crummy $75 injection molded one Hobie sells!)

Too many canoes and kayaks