Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am planning on getting the Hobie i11s or i12s. Here are my requirements

1. I will be touring on Lake Tahoe... a large lake with some wind, waves and boat chop.
2. I need to be able to get on and off easily from a dock and in the water, if I fall off. (I am 76 and in fair shape).
3. I am not interested in sailing.
4. I am interested in fishing and to be able to add rod holder for trolling and other fishing accessaries.
5. I may go to nearby lakes, but mainly stay at Lake Tahoe where I live and plan to leave the kayak in the water at my dock all summer.
6. I will likely take it with me on my 28 foot boat to kayak from anchorage.
7. I have a 10-year old grandson that may want to try it out.

Can those that have experience with these inflatables help me make the right choice?

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Disappointed that I didn't get any responses in over a week.

Went ahead and purchased the i11S mainly because of the lighter weight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

sailermon wrote:
Disappointed that I didn't get any responses in over a week.

Went ahead and purchased the i11S mainly because of the lighter weight.

You made the right decision, esp for fishing. I just got into a 2020 Outback and besides durability...I prefer the i11s as a fishing platform. It is more nimble, and the deck is wide open.

As for leaving it inflated 24/7...I don't think that is recommended. Lightly inflated for storage yes, but fully inflated and left in the sun, probably not!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Only just saw this post, but I've been pedalling a Hobie i12s MD180 for four years and using it successfully for fly fishing and baitcasting in southern Ontario. I see you've already chosen the i11s, and it's probably great for day trips. I've recently started using my i12s for multi-day backcountry trips, and it holds up well, even over some challenging portages (with specific Hobie kayak cart and lots of patience!). One thing I wanted to share was finding a supplier for inflatable fishing accessory mounting solutions. Here's link to a photo of my i12s with fish finder, transducer and battery mounts: https://www.fishfindermounts.com/mount- ... m-j3hve2qr

I find the i12s to be extremely convenient, and I was even initially surprised about how fast it was to inflate and set up. I take the Hobie pump with me on extended trips, packed in a dry bag. After four years of decent use, I've never had any big issues around deflation. During my last eight-day trip, I only had to pump in more air once, after temps dropped overnight.

I don't think the i11s was available in Canada when I purchased my i12s, but I'm happy with the additional carrying capacity of the i12s, Its higher sides and extreme stability have been useful in high winds and rough water.

Enjoy your pedallin, occasional paddling and fishing.