Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

just got pa 14 360 and the second time I took it out I noticed some play in the 360 drive steering. I searched through Hobie manual, video tutorials, forums, google and didn't come across anything and wanted to know if anyone has experienced this issue and knew how to resolve.

When I turn the drive steering handle it has maybe an 1/8 turn before actually turns the gear. I can hear and feel that the belt for the steering control is instantly engaging and rotating but the gear in the clutch assembly hesitates before rotating.

**Below is a video Showing the play in the drive steering control

https://youtu.be/_gPg_FR1vcQ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

billy1724 wrote:
just got pa 14 360 and the second time I took it out I noticed some play in the 360 drive steering. I searched through Hobie manual, video tutorials, forums, google and didn't come across anything and wanted to know if anyone has experienced this issue and knew how to resolve.

When I turn the drive steering handle it has maybe an 1/8 turn before actually turns the gear. I can hear and feel that the belt for the steering control is instantly engaging and rotating but the gear in the clutch assembly hesitates before rotating.

**Below is a video Showing the play in the drive steering control

https://youtu.be/_gPg_FR1vcQ

Okay, I will check this video. I haven't heard anything about this issue before.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

https://www.youtube.com/c/HobieOfficial/search?query=360

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

May be the belt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLLgfD_UrxI&feature=youtu.be

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm quite handy and watched the videos through the Hobie website. I Initially looked at that and per the Compression Tube Adjustment video went through testing 1/4 turn at a time until I mad a complete 360 with no change.
I believe from what I'm hearing and feeling the belt is turning instantly even with the play and the lag is occurring where the belt and clutch/360 turning gear engage. I would like to take a look in there but didn't want do anything to jeopardize the warranty.
would opening the drive housing up and sending some pics be ok and should I just email directly or continue on here?

Thank You
Billy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Play in drive steering located. video shows the cause of the play.. appears to be a spring in the clutch assembly that is supposed to seat to the belt pulley and it appears to be streched.

https://youtu.be/rF41v3RfL2Q

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

I'll ask the designer to respond here. He is the expert. Phil Dow.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thank you

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:26 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Billy,

That 20-30 degree play in the handle is normal. When you pedal the 360, the torque from the fins tries to twist the lower unit of the drive back and forth. The gear mounted in the drive well that interfaces with the gear on the drive is attached to a clutch system. This clutch locks the lower unit in place by locking that gear. When you turn the 360 handle, before turning the lower unit, the clutch must disengage to allow the gear to turn. There is a set of two coil springs in the clutch, and depending on which way you turn the handle, one of those two coil springs is coiled slightly to release it from the clutch wall. This action takes 10-15 degrees of motion (in either direction) before the drive starts to turn. This is the reason for the free play you are seeing. If you want to know exactly which way the lower unit is pointed, the indicator on the drive is a better gauge.

One more thing to mention, when you are actually using the boat on the water, and you've taken a couple of pedal strokes, you'll notice that this free play decreases. this is because the coil springs have had a chance to fully seat on the clutch wall as the lower unit torques back and forth. This is why it seems like more free play out of the water.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions!

Cheers
Phil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the info and reply . The 360 is amazing!

Billy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:02 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thanks Billy,

Great to hear you are enjoying the 360! It was an absolute chore to design...so happy to have it out in the world now.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got my new 2021 PA 360 and the drive locks into different positions and won't turn back so I get stuck out on the lake and have to paddle back sideways. Any ideas why the handle won't rotate back I tried small movements but still no luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok followed all the videos on had to set things up. Adjusted the tube which was already turned half way according to the black mark on top. This unit might turn off the start but that's it locks right up you have to go under and manually turn it to remove the drive. This has been fun when fishing and you're not stranding paddling sideways back home. I've done all the things I was told to do from the dealer aren't these units checked before leaving the factory.....
Mines going back to the shop it sad to pay this much for something I have to continually try and adjust to work. Jams right up not even able to move it at all!
Even with the drive out it is rock solid.