Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm planning to buy a Hobie for the upcoming season, and could use some input. I will, of course, go to see them but my dealer doesn't have the 2021 models in yet and I'm not sure which ones I should focus on.

I'm a large woman, 5'7" 270lbs. The weight limit on the 10.5' Passport is 275, but I'm thinking I may have problems with it sitting too low in the water and having too much drag being that close to the limit; am I correct in this? Speed isn't terribly important, nor is storage capacity since I won't be touring or fishing, but no one wants to slog through a lot of drag. I used to row crew, so I'm not worried about it being tippy as I have no fear of being tipped in the water (had to give up rowing due to a spine issue, and didn't think I could kayak until I learned about pedal kayaking!) Transport isn't a big issue, as it will mostly be kept at the lake.

Seat width is important to me, as I have bursitis in my hips and can't stand chairs that poke into my hips, as many folding chairs do. I understand the Compass chair isn't very good, but perhaps they have fixed that in recent years? If not, can it be swapped out for a different chair? The seat capacity on most models is 275lb -- I'm not sure how a 400 lb total capacity helps me if the seat capacity is only 275! The Angler Pro has a wider seat, but is a lot more $$ for someone who doesn't need all the fishing features, and is also a lot heavier. I'll have this for many years, though, so I'm willing to spend to get the right one.

I rented an Ocean brand pedal kayak last summer, and had two problems: 1) I have long legs and short arms. With the distance from the pedal set correctly, I couldn't easily reach the rudder control. Does anyone have experience with the Hobies to share in this regard? From the photos, it looks like the Revolution has the rudder control near the front of the seat, while the others have it next to the seat. Or this might just be a function of where the seat is positioned in the photo. 2) The rudder wouldn't stay straight unless I applied force to keep the knob straight. This combination meant I had to pedal in a twisted position trying to lean forward to hold onto the control. I understand with some models the rudder can be locked into position? If not, can this be upgraded to do so? I will be kayaking on a large open finger lake, so maneuverability is less important than stability (the lake can get windy and choppy at times).

I appreciate any suggestions!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might consider looking for a used PA-12 in good condition.......yes it's called a Pro Angler, but you don't need to fish out of it!

The seat capacity is 350# and hull capacity of 500 #'s. I think you would be very comfortable in this model and not have steering issues either.

A nice 4 year old unit would not cost an arm and a leg and would have decent Mirage drive....you don't need the latest and greatest Mirage drive to have fun and still be easy to pedal.

My 2013 PA-14 has the standard Turbo fins and I have not had any issues.....I fish a lot in my PA.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would love to find a used one, but they seem very hard to find. I’ve tried Boattrader, eBay, Craigslist and can’t find any within hundreds of miles of me. I’ve read that used kayaks are hard to find because they don’t take up space or require ongoing maintenance, so people just keep them in the garage forever even if not using them. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Started looking into an Adventure Island. They have much greater weight capacity thanks to the amas (outriggers). The seat is the same, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Hobie H-BAR is a must.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What’s the H-bar?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Oh, I see now! Yes the H-bar would definitely help me get in and out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's embaressing to watch, but there is a utube video on how to re-enter your kayak, after falling out. The "big" guy shows how several different methods work, and more importantly, don't work. This is an important concern for us "larger" people, as we don't want to put ourselves in a position in which we can't get out of. I have a PA 12, and love the stability of it, but flipping it back up right, and then climbing back in, in deep water, is a real workout! So please practice doing this some place safe, like a swimming pool, several times so that, should you flip, you'll be able to take care of your self. It's really worth the effort. I love peddling around my local harbor, it's great exercise, and lots of fun!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Ester4Me! Good advice.