Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, it's happening....

The restoration of 1986 H16 Loki is almost complete. She has been out for a couple of sails. Due to the nature of my situation and my desire to enter J24 class racing, I am contemplating selling Loki. My question for the members of this forum has to do with how to price her, she has new (ish) harken hadware, old style travelers, newly repainted hulls (much more durable than Gelcoat), less than perfect sails, no soft spots anywhere, a stiff and fast boat.

Selling her is only worth it to me if I can get at least 1500 or so for her at minimum, otherwise, she is an excellent boat to have.

Depending on your answers, she may be for sale here in NY in the spring. Great condition for her age, just not well suited to my needs.

86' Nationals H16 "Loki"
86' Laser "UH OH"
97' JY15 "8 Lives" (For Sale)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A few things to consider.....
1500 would be high around here, but very well may be right for your locale.....hard to predict what the market will bear.
Does it have a comp-tip and EPOs (generally desirable).
IMO painted hulls are undesirable (can't tell what they may be hiding), and, to be 'fair,' they are certainly not more durable than gelcoat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check the prices in your area on FB marketplace and Craigslist. Bad time of year to try to sell a boat, though.
My experience with selling sailboats and convertibles (automobiles) is that if you list them in February, you literally cannot give them away. Wait until the first nice day in late spring though, and you can ask whatever you want. I tried to sell a nice late model convertible once, starting in March. Crickets for months. When it hit 70 degrees and a sunny day in May, I had 10 phone calls in one day. Got my asking price.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, it has EPO rudders and a Comp Tip Mast. New mesh tramp just installed, hulls were painted with the understanding that it would provide more durable scratch protection and also because I lack the capacity to spray gelcoat. New aussie jib hardware as well. Its a new style refitted boat with the newer style lighter hulls, so one would assume (barring wear) that it is 99% as fast as a brand new boat. Of course, the market will bear what it will bear. I may respray it with gelcoat in the spring if I get around to it. Love hobies, unfortunatly, they are not all that well adopted in my neck of the woods, J24s and Lasers are king here, so I have transfered most of my sailing related spending into those classes and hate to see this finished restoration sit in my basement.

86' Nationals H16 "Loki"
86' Laser "UH OH"
97' JY15 "8 Lives" (For Sale)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With your further description, it sounds like a very nice boat. My first one was similar (an '85), and it was a gem. If you've sailed it enough to be sure it's still solid, I wouldn't worry about re-gelcoating. Assuming it has a decent trailer, I'd start closer to $1800 around here and add on any significant extras (sailbox, beach wheels, etc.) Would think it might fetch even more in NY in the spring. Good luck and happy mono sailing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

$1800 seems a fair price for a solid, albeit old, boat that's in good sailing order.