Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: February Shipping?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I think I've seen that there is or are, Hobie employees on here.

I'm just curious how the shipping works for the monthly deliveries. I ordered an Outback that is supposed to be delivered in (accroding to the local shop) "February".

That's all they can tell me. I'm just curious how that works. Do you guys make and ship them to various locations scattered around the world as you can, or is everything sent at a specific time each month?

I'm not impatient or anything, I was just curious... ;)

Also... I changed my order from the camo option to the red one. So I may have to change this username I guess...

Thank you for your time,
not_Camo_Outback...

Post subject: Re: February Shipping?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

We load trucks and containers daily. We have a fleet of trucks that only deliver for us, so loads are built to best serve the efficient routes across the country to each dealer. If there are not enough on order at a dealer... that order could be delayed until they have a full load headed in that direction.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ah I see.
Thank you for your response.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ordered my 2021 Outback in October for delivery in January..still sitting in CA waiting for components to arrive. Patience will be the word again this year I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's a story from a couple of days ago -- https://www.maritime-executive.com/arti ... re-records

This has been a continuing problem for quite a while and anything coming in on the West Coast is delayed. I don't know how much of a particular Hobie is made overseas. Definitely some of the components are imported. Hobie isn't the only company suffering.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:53 am 
Site Admin

Yikes!

Yes, we get components and accessories from overseas, We also ship finished products overseas to Australia and Europe. All have delays. It took us 3-4 months to get containers available and then loaded for Europe. We shipped through Houston as that was the only option.

Just got a notification of an inbound container that arrived on the 6th and is scheduled to deliver here late this month.

Has to be a cascading problem as all of these ships should be moving around the World!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah,h it's a cascading problem, with a primary cause of Covid. Dock workers throughout the world are out, delaying both loading and unloading. Containers are stacked in places that don't want them, and in short supply in places that do want them.

US West Coast ports not only receive an incredible amount of freight, but ship out a lot too. Container ships in port on the West Coast not only have to unload, but they have to load with containers going to Asia, as well as empty containers going to Asia for reloading. They'll wait a bit if it means a full load.

Further compounding the problem is the loss of containers at sea, or now sitting on ships as they try to sort through the mess. At least three ships suffered major damage, and probably close to 10,000 containers went overboard crossing the north Pacific. And the crew replacement schedule is way out of whack, with some crews over ten months over contract.

All in all, shipping is a disaster this year, and we're seeing shortages pop up in lots of places. Even if a company like Hobie can get everything going well internally, the shipping industry is going to have major effects. And I'm guessing that 20 days for Hobie to get a container from port to their company is unusual. Never mind having to ship from Houston.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dan King wrote:
I ordered my 2021 Outback in October for delivery in January..still sitting in CA waiting for components to arrive. Patience will be the word again this year I guess.

Just a quick update to say the outback I ordered in October finally show up this week! Given what's going on in the world right now, a 1 month delay isn't so bad. Just in time for iceout on many local ponds too!