Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just wanted to share with my fellow Hobie Compass owners that the vertical rectangular hatch kit fits for our kayak. It does sit under the bungee cord where one would hook when not attached to the mirage drive but it does not affect opening/closing the hatch door.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice job! I just ordered a vertical hatch. You have any advice for me before I start cutting into my compass? Did you run into any problems during your installation? Is that the same bucket that fits the rectangular hatch? I couldn't find a vertical hatch bucket online. Last question, did you have an problems fitting the bucket into the hatch? Looks like everything fits fine in your photos.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I got it installed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice work guys! Thanks for posting. Good to know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kalawaia wrote:
You have any advice for me before I start cutting into my compass? Did you run into any problems during your installation?

Sorry to get to this extremely late. I would advise that you take measurements multiple times to be sure! I definitely took my time doing it. It wasn't difficult at all but I just wanted to be certain I didn't make any mistakes.

kalawaia wrote:
Is that the same bucket that fits the rectangular hatch? I couldn't find a vertical hatch bucket online.

Yup it is the same rectangular hatch bucket used by the horizontal hatch. It may be labeled as "HOBIE BUCKET HOBIE RECTANGULAR HATCH V2" If you want I can find the part number for you.

kalawaia wrote:
Last question, did you have an problems fitting the bucket into the hatch? Looks like everything fits fine in your photos.

Zero problems! Fit like a glove for me! However, maybe YMMV as some members on this board and other boards complain about the horizontal hatch not able to use the bucket without issues.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:24 am 
Hobie Team Member

The bucket for the Vertical Rectangular Hatch kit (part #77701801) can be ordered through your local Hobie dealer. Part number for the bucket is 71709002. These are the same hatches/buckets used on the Hobie Outback. There are also specific deck pads that can be used on either side of the hatch for better standing traction, which can be ordered through your Hobie dealer. Here are the part numbers for those if you're interested:

STANDING PAD LEFT
777024 LEFT
777022 CAMO LEFT

STANDING PAD RIGHT
777023 RIGHT
777021 CAMO RIGHT

https://www.hobie.com/dealers/