Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone and Hobie,

I just received two new compasses today. I wanted to make one more of a paddling kayak so I bought the compass foot brace kit. As I took a look at the kayak today I noticed that they do not have the brass screw inserts that I have seen in the photos.

Are the new compasses no longer foot brace ready? I was wondering if it is still possible to use the foot brace if this is the case. There does seem to be a lot of curvature along that area and the straight foot braces do not have a snug fit.

Thank you for your help!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, the inserts were removed I am told. Will require adding a hatch or using well nuts.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your response, Matt.

I think I may return the foot braces in that case and just install the map pockets. I think I would want to see a video of the installation before going for it. I will leave that for someone more capable than myself!

This may not be the appropriate channel for this, but I also noticed that the compass no longer has the little well where the transducer wire comes up to the deck, there is still a hole but it is now a flat area otherwise. I am using the compass fish finder install video from Hobie for reference, it is definitely an older model.

The new manual says to drill two 1 3/8” holes - one on the right or left where the fish finder would go and for the transducer wire....”the hole for the wire coming up from the scupper should be located on the firewall behind the seat.”

I just wanted to clarify before drilling a hole. This hole would go literally on the wall behind the seat above the transducer scupper? The compass came with the 3 way plug (1 3/8 inch) as well as the one way plug (1 inch). Would it be advisable to buy an additional 3 way plug to follow the manual? Would a one way plug still work or would that be a problem?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

https://imgur.com/gallery/4srzowC

Hopefully I added that correctly. But this is to show the new transducer scupper area of the compass.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is correct. I recommend installing the 3-way plug on the vertical firewall behind the seat since that area is virtually impossible to reach inside the hull to thread on the backing ring. You can get away with the 1-way plug up front where the cables exit the hull in most cases, just use the rubber fitting that has the opening for both the transducer and power cable. If you've got a unit that requires the 3-way plug up front , you can purchase a second 3-way plug from a Hobie dealer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HStrech wrote:
This is correct. I recommend installing the 3-way plug on the vertical firewall behind the seat since that area is virtually impossible to reach inside the hull to thread on the backing ring. You can get away with the 1-way plug up front where the cables exit the hull in most cases, just use the rubber fitting that has the opening for both the transducer and power cable. If you've got a unit that requires the 3-way plug up front , you can purchase a second 3-way plug from a Hobie dealer.

Thank you! I really have to say that i appreciate how quickly you both responded to my questions. I’ll purchase an additional 3 way plug and fittings very soon. I’m looking forward to setting this up for spring!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For demonstration purposes, I have taped the 3 way plug to the firewall in the photo attachment below. I would like to verify with you that this is indeed the correct location - on the side of the firewall closest to the transducer scupper (not on top of the firewall).

https://imgur.com/a/MlyjDai

Thanks again for all your help. Being the first time I am a little about nervous about placing the hole in the wrong location.