Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Still like to be able to go sailing with the Island/Adventure mode? Here's a handy small sail adapter, complete with roller furling that lets you dust off your old small sail and bring it along without the full AI rig.
ImageImage

Below, you can see it working, both furled and unfurled.
ImageImage

Here is a close up showing the how the sail's bungee downhaul attaches to the roller with an "S" hook.

Finally, here is the sail at various reefing points. The main advantage though is being able to pop the sail in and out quickly if you are fishing or (in my case) hopping on a boat wake.
ImageImage
ImageImage

The operation is pretty much like the standard sail. You might notice a slightly better performance since the sail is somewhat elevated, improving the sheeting angle over that of the original Adventure.

The AI mainsheet is used, making additional rigging unnecessary. But notice the AI's double purchase sheeting is removed temporarily. This is because the extra leverage is not needed with the small sail. More importantly, it restores the rapid sail response needed in the monohull configuration.

It would probably not be a good idea to use this configuration in the AI mode (not that anyone would want to). The small sail mast is not designed for a boat with the stability of the full AI and may bend or break under sudden gust if the boat can't absorb some of the shock by heeling.

For those interested in making one of their own, you can find the 'How To' link here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... 2421#32421
8)

Last edited by Roadrunner on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How ya going Roadie..?
Thats a cool looking part. Where did you find it?
Do you think this type of part could be used to adapt roller furling to the other model Hobie kayaks ? :wink:
-Kepnutz-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:01 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Kep,

Sorry to say, but I just made this for the AI. Unfortunately, the system is not adaptable to other models. It is designed to use with the Island's specific roller furling gear (unique mast base, etc). As you know, the AI (or any converted Adventure) is the only current Hobie Mirage system that cannot utilize the small sail. So, while roller reefing is a nice secondary feature of this gadget, its primary purpose is to regain the use of a sail in the "Adventure" mode.

No doubt, someone far more clever will work out a viable roller furling system for the other sailing Hobies when the proper motivation strikes them. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:( It was worth a try...maybe someday, like you say, some clever bugger will bang one out that works in the rest of our Hobie yak models :wink:
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WoW! Roadrunner that looks great! Figured it would only be a matter of time before someone made an adapter. Should have known it would be you 8)

I'm so addicted to the big sail I don't know if I would want to use my old sail - but for giving the Island even 1 more type of configuration it is super.

Yakaholic