Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trial run for the new AI
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I just turned 60 and since I purchased a Hobie Kayak for my 50th birthday I thought it only proper to buy a Hobie for the 60th. I purchased a Seda Viking kayak on Craigslist for use in California, the guy I bought it from just bought an AI and had it on a trailer, I was very curious. Well will on Maui visiting the vacation condo I stopped by Valley Isle Marine and "bang" loaded up a yellow AI on top of the car. Set it up on the beach, hopped in and pull the sail and wow what a niece piece of equipment. I use it off west Maui, Kahana area, which get those 15 to 25 knot trade winds. The mornings are perfect for light winds and the AI does a great job at sailing in the lighter breezes. The afternoon wind are strong and the ocean has a lot of chop and found the AI sail needs to be reefed beause of the heavy winds. At first the peddling seemed a little goofy but after a while I found it very effect for coming about, really good to fish the back of the surf and just to get from point A to B. Overall this is a great fishing, sailing, fun rig and would recommend it. I do have a few questions and comments.
The rudder is very difficult to move in strong winds.

The plug for the peddle hole is filling with water, is that normal.

The kayak seem to take on a few cups of water will the plug in tight, is that normal or should I get out the Silicon.

I can't totally furl the sail there always seems to be a little sail left out.

The rudder needs to be "massaged" to get it to deploy.

The furling line seems to be to high to engage the cam stop, I need to scoot forwad to get it locked in the cam stops.

The paddle when attached to the side with the provided bungie cord directs water into the cockpit when sailing, any ideas?

The seat straps that hold the seat back upright don't hold, I alway end up laying back in the cockpit, I'm 6'4" 230lbs. I have a Surf to Summit which holds me at any angle without a problem.

Should the nylon rudder lines be changed to stainless steel to stop the line stretch I'm getting on the nylon?

Lots of questions

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on 60 and the new boat! Next time you're on Maui, contact me if you want to go out in a group. We have 3 AI's here in Kihei with a 4th just ordered. To try to answer your questions:

The rudder is very difficult to move in strong winds.

New rudder just released will fix this problem, free to all AI owners!

The plug for the peddle hole is filling with water, is that normal.

Yep, normal. The AI is a wet cockbit, especially sailing over 8 mph!

The kayak seem to take on a few cups of water will the plug in tight, is that normal or should I get out the Silicon.

Yep, normal. Most comes in the rudder line "straws". Hobie is working on updates to correct. Some may be upgrades for us first owners.

I can't totally furl the sail there always seems to be a little sail left out.

I leave a 1/2 - 1 turn of yellow line on around the mast to take care of that. Works well.

The rudder needs to be "massaged" to get it to deploy.

With the larger rudder this is a minor problem that you get use to. Hobie is looking at is.

The furling line seems to be to high to engage the cam stop, I need to scoot forwad to get it locked in the cam stops.

Yep, I use my foot to "push it" down into the cleat.

The paddle when attached to the side with the provided bungie cord directs water into the cockpit when sailing, any ideas?

With the Aka bars, the paddle holders really don't work. I put one end of the paddle under one of the front hatch bungees and the shaft against the outside of the outer cleat, and have a paddle leash slipped down to the far end with a loop hooked to the side of the boat.

The seat straps that hold the seat back upright don't hold, I alway end up laying back in the cockpit, I'm 6'4" 230lbs. I have a Surf to Summit which holds me at any angle without a problem.

I havent noticed that problem but others have commented. Maybe just a half-hitch on each strap after adjusted for you.

Should the nylon rudder lines be changed to stainless steel to stop the line stretch I'm getting on the nylon?

Nope, made of good stuff! Also adjustable if it did stretch.

As you found, the boats are a blast! We go out for hours, averaging 20 miles a trip lately. Yesterday we left from Sugar Beach (North Kihei) over to the Pali, then to Molokini to "swim", and finally to McKenna Landing.

Aloha,

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

reconlon wrote:

Yep, I use my foot to "push it" down into the cleat.
Kayaking Bob

Great answers. Here's a simple solution to the furling system cam. This Harkin micro cam fairlead (available through Hobie or West Marine) will make the furling line run through the cam cleat properly so you don't have to use your foot.

The seat straps should hold without having to tie them off. Sometimes this improves as the straps stiffen. If it continues to be a problem, see your dealer to determine whether a warranty replacement is appropriate.

Your rudder lines may appear to stretch, but it is more likely the boat flexing slightly due to temperature change. They should be fine once adjusted. Hobie used to use a stainless cable. This is a huge improvement! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner - I installed the fairlead with the curved wire on my side and the lock down is great, but the unlock is hard. Duh? Did I install the curved wire lead on the wrong side? :?: It seemed logical to put it on the side closer to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

Post subject: Release
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

If you pull towards you while pulling up to release... that should do the trick.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:11 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Longfellow wrote:
Roadrunner - I installed the fairlead with the curved wire on my side and the lock down is great, but the unlock is hard.

The picture below shows the correct installation. Hope this helps.8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes it does. I put the curved wire on the opposite side. Thanks. I'll switch it tomorrow. Ah, yes. A picture always does the trick, as does the forum. Help is always a click a way from all parts of the world. You can't beat it. And what a good community it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner - changed the guide to the other side like the photo and it works great. In fact, I added one for the larger unfurling line also. The two curved metal guides look nice together. Thanks again.

Post subject: me too...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Longfellow, I stared at the fairlead for a long time before I figured out which side the wire went on... glad I'm not the only one. I also put the wire fairlead on both clamps. Looks and works great!

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the all the valuable information, these community forums really help. :)

Post subject: Kayaking Bob on Maui
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Bob - I would like to take you up on a group sail on my next trip, how can I get a hold of you on Maui
John

Post subject: Re: Kayaking Bob on Maui
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John,

I always look forward to another day out on the water with friends. (e mail me at reconlon at yahoo . com).

Kayaking Bob

jholtco wrote:
Hey Bob - I would like to take you up on a group sail on my next trip, how can I get a hold of you on Maui
John

Post subject: Correct part
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can someone helpme determining if I need the micro cam fairlead 284, or the standard fairlead 294? That is to fit in an AI :)
Thanks for your time,

Xavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe it is the 284 micro cam.