Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So this has been bugging me for a while. What is the consensus about mounting a spinnaker on the 20 (with the compttip)? I have heard different things. Some people are saying the spin will snap off the comptip, others are just advising to "be careful", ie keep the mainsheet tight and it should be fine. Other people are saying no problem at all. It IS sometwhat disturbing that the tigers and nacras all have single-piece masts. I've seen a bunch of guys do have spins on their 20s (unfortunately no one locally does so I can't ask them) and seem to be ok. We are ready to mount our spin...should I just go ahead and do it? Are there any big DOs/DONT's? Seems to make sense if you keep the mainsheet tight you create a backstay which should counterbalance the force of the spin, so it should be ok. What are people's thoughts on this? As always, thanks for the input. seth

Post subject: Spinnaker on a CompTip
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think the advise is that different from an all aluminum mast. They all can fail if the chute is handled improperly.

There was a 20 with Chute in a Worrell 1000 event years ago... it survived. They also had running backstays though. Generally mainsheet tension is the aft support for the mast.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look to the prior post regarding "red eye tree frog." Scroll half way down and you will see it there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks hammond. do you have any tips for the installation. drilling into the mast makes me a bit nervous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

no holes in the mast, just two small holes in the mast track to tie spectra around the mast as a guide for the halyard block that is hung from the masthead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

good call on the spectra. i've seen the tigers have a metal retainer around the mast to keep the halyard in. otherwise, did you pretty much follow the hobie instructions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been running the Nacra 6.0NE chute (380-400? sq ft) without any issues. It's too big and full compared to the new Nacra 20 chutes, but it was cheap :-) Doesn't reach as high or as fast as the Nacra 20s, but seems just as fast going at normal deeper angles. Probably needs double-trap crew more often, too. Don't know if that's a bad thing :-) Just have a simple mast tang riveted on the comptip for the halyard. I have yet to even notice the comptip bending off to the extent I've seen on the Nacras (but then again, when it's blowing, I'm usually too occupied to look up at the mast tip).

When the chute goes up, I pick up the traveler and throw the main sheet on the tramp; that way I can't let the main sheet out by accident. Flipped over several times with this but have yet to pitchpole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks for all the feedback. we will probably try to get her rigged next weekend. will post some pics.
seth