Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Today I became a member of the Hobie family with the purchase of a new 2006 Big A. Took one out for a test run and was sufficiently impressed. I will be using mine primarily for fishing and noted the limited space available for mounting "stuff". Somewhere on the internet I saw one set up so well it should have been on that TV show "Pimp My Ride". I did not save that to my favorites and have been unable to find it again. I saw the post regardign forward rod holders on this site and that looks good as well, however, I certainly would appreciate any photos you guys may have of your Adventures that you have set up for fishing. Sure am looking forward to getting the deck bloody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Joe,
A hearty welcome to the Dark Side! Lots of scattered rigging posts re the BigA. Here's a post to get you started.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... rodholders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Apalach. I will not be able to take mine home until Saturday as I did not have a rack for my truck. With tailgate down half would still hang out. My single apprehension with this yak is coming back in through the surf with its length, rudder, and mirage drive system. I have been out for the last few years in a 12' paddle yak. I have been able to surf some small waves in with not much problem although I generally try to time the sets and get in between waves. By looking at the hull design of the Adventure along with the overall length it appears to be more susceptable to pearling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah Joe--you could be right about that. The folks I know about who surf a lot (while going to and from their fishing grounds), generally use a yak about 12-13 feet or less. Keep us posted about your experiences. Coming in thru the surf in my Sport the one time I did it, I pulled the Mirage Drive and put it on the bow (leashed of course), retracted my rudder, swung around, timed the sets, and then backed down like crazy with my paddle, coming in stern first. Beginner's luck no doubt, but my timing was perfect and I made it in unscathed (more or less, if you don't count the sand dumped in my yak by the next wave that partially broke over me after I was sitting on the beach!).
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Whats up folks? No love for the Big A? Thanks to a kayak dealer (not Hobie) I have not received the rack I ordered for my truck so I have not been able to take my Adventure out yet. I need a bit of time on the water with mine before I figure out how best to outfit it. Since pictures of a Big A rigged for fishing seem to be rare, I will post mine for others when I begin. This will take some time because I only want to do it once and make every mod count. would not mind ideas from others though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, not many responses to the request as you can see. I have been working on mine and have decided the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) would be my solution.

Since I climb aboard from the left side (I apologize but I was not in the Navy so port is a drink and a starboard is in a kindergarten class with blue and red stars) I placed a ram mount with rocket launcher tube on the right hand side of the cockpit in front of the mesh pocket.

I made some rod hoder extensions out of a ten inch seciton of schedule 40 PVC pipe. They are to fat to fit inside of the molded rod holders so I made eight cuts along the centerline of the pipe from one end to the mid point and cut out a little meat in the cuts from near the end. I used a dremmel to smooth out the edges and inserted the cut end into the molded in rod holders adjacent to the tank well. Fits very nice and the butt of my rods sit on the bottom of the molded in rod holder.

I will be installing a fish finder similar to that which I have seen on this site by using the mast holder and PVC. I use a FF requiring a 12 volt battery so I will mount the transducer in the hull in front of the mirage drive using goop and keep the battery inside the hull in a dry bag bungeed to the mast holder post inside the hull. I will be mounting a Ram flush mount to the vertical portion of the cockpit in front of the mirage drive to run the battery wire and transducer wire to the FF. The Ram flush mound plugs up better than the Scotty. I used Scotty on my other yak.

I will also be using a bait tube until the Hobie livewell becomes available.

I will use the paddle bungee on the left to hold the gaff. Still need to find a place for a net.

Using this set up I can have two saltwater poles with me and a fresh water pole I use with a sabiki to catch bait.