Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need a new trailer!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in South East British Columbia, Canada, and I'm trying to source a decent trailer for my 16. I've contacted EasyLoader and Shorlandr and they don't make trailers specifically for catamarans.

I'd like to have a little background knowledge before I buy next year, so any info you could provide about:

1) manuacturers that make a decent trailer

2) specific features that make the trailer more functional

3) any items (hull cradles, etc.) that will preserve the condition of the boat while on the trailer.

I am two or three hours out of Spokane, so a trip stateside is not out of reach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you're having trouble finding a full-on catamaran trailer you could buy a standard utility trailer and then weld some crossbars and a mast support onto it. Just a thought.

Right now I have rollers at all four corners; but I need a new front crossbar (my current one is bending slightly) and I think I'll build hull cradles for the front. Spread out the weight some on the hull. :)

Warm regards,

Jim

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had to fabricate/modify my trailer.
A lesson that was tought to me by the school of hard knocks was, make sure the wheels are between the hulls.

My error was to buy a trailer that had the same distance beteen the wheels as between the centerlines of the hulls. Now my boat sits real high off the ground so it will clear the wheels. It's not a real heavy boat so it's not to hard to get up there but its harder than has to be.

For rollers I used just a two ten inch rollers and four eight inch guide rollers down the legenth of either hull on the inside to make it as narrow as possable. The boat is not resting on rollers. Rather on planks two 2"x15'. This way boats weight is distributed more evenly and I won't get alot of small soft spots down the legenth of the hulls from spending long winters on rollers. To secure the boat I used four wratchet straps and eye bolts. Each set pulling away from eachother.like so.
>-<
>-<
The plus side to having the boat so high is that a huge litterbox easly fits under the boat to store all my hobie related gear. It's very self contained. Louvers of some sort let things moderately dry while in the box.

Oh make sure your mast rest holds the mast about 10" to 12" above your vehicle to account for changes in pitch of the road, relitave to the angle of your trailer while your vehicle is going up or down a small hill/ramp/driveway ect. Otherwise your vehicle could get dammaged.

Another lesson compliments of the school of hard knocks. Well at least my next trailer will be dead on perfect. If you have to fabricate/ modify, yours too.

Jaime,
why rollers on all four corners? Do you roll your cat up one end and down another? Do you not have planks down the legnth of your hulls? Or do you only have the crossmembers?

-Be crazy not stupid.