Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Notes on Nordic sailing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello forum friends,
I bought three Islands for Nordic sailing (along the west coast of Norway) with friends, and have so far made the following experience:

1. Weather helm
This definitely is a problem, and I am waiting for the new rudder.

2. Wet cockpit
Feet and bottom are constantly wet, and with water and air temperatures in the range of 15 degrees C (about 60 F) it makes the sailing season very short, and long journeys with "dry kayak" friends an envy. I am hoping a modified dodger would do the trick. Sailing with the the drainage plugs under the seat helps to get rid of the water, but does not prevent it from coming in.

3. Water inside the hull
After a four hours´ sail I have nearly one gallon of water inside the hull (I am not quite sure where all this water comes through), but this is a bit too much in my opinion. Any suggestions?

Apart from these minor gripes, the Island is great fun.

Erik :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

1. new rudder helps a bit adding a fin to the bottom of the rudder helps more.

2. I have been having good success with my sprayshield attempts but am still working on optimal design. This is my latest one, it looks to be a winner at stopping both spray/splash from the front and water rolling over the side of the cockpit. Once I get the shape perfected I plan to post results and a decent how to on this forum.

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5086057385/m/9381072404

3. I usally get about a gallon in mine after 4 to 6 hours of heavy sailing. I agree it is too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:38 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Erik wrote:
2. Wet cockpit Sailing with the the drainage plugs under the seat helps to get rid of the water, but does not prevent it from coming in.

Hi Erik and welcome to the forum.

If you put a little packaging tape across the front 2/3 of your seat scupper holes, it will siphon off any water in the seat area while moving forward. This may not keep your seat dry, but will keep you from sitting in water. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello! has anyone tried to mount a check valve the scupper holes in combination with tape over the scupper holes. Theoretically, it would be a perfect solution. No water comes in when you stand still. The water is sucked out while driving. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would love to sail my Island off the coast of Norway. I lived there as a teen. As I remember, the water stayed cool most of the year. The AI is a wet product. You can reduce the spray and water but you will never eliminate it. I would think a dry suit would be a must with a pair of dive boots and neoprene gloves. Then, think about getting the Dodger. The guys who have them seem to be happy. I fish from the Island (and need the open space) or I would get one. I'm envious, what a beautiful country you live in. I long to return. Have fun. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy!

Buried in a number of discussions here are threads of cold weather sailing. I recommend reading everything you can to get a number of tidbits of good ideas for these boats.

Some of the best ideas for cold weather sailing include:

- Using a dodger. Some swear by them, but I haven't yet tried one. I like having easy access to lines.
- A good Gortex drysuit is key. I recommend the Kokatat expedition one with attached booties and a hood. Although expensive, you'll end up using it year round in Norway.
- Neoprene booties 3 sizes bigger than your regular size over the dry suit's feet.
- Heavy duty neoprene gloves (NRS makes great ones).
- Heavy fleece pants and coats inside the suit. Warm socks. There's plenty of room for inside layering.
- One fellow here uses a Stearns cold weather coat with built in life preserver when things really get cold.
-A windproof fleece balaclava.
- Perhaps a skiing face mask of some kind?
- Try chemical hand and foot warmer packets.
-Bringing your boats to Hawaii and sailing there is the best cure! :wink:

These things will make a huge difference. A friend and I did a one week camping trip on Yellowstone Lake last year a week after the ice broke. We stayed warm and dry, and ended up often continuing to wear our drysuits while setting up camp and cooking.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

Post subject: Hi need to speak to Erik
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Erik
I live in Oslo, need to speak to you. I am just to buy a AI 2009 model. Can you give me your telephone number? Mine is 95779940.

Need to discuss with you...
or mail me at [email protected]

Regards Jan