Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New member
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Never used photobucket before, so I will trying posting these picture before posting comments.

Post subject: OK, that worked
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So, I just bought the Revolution. I am primarily a sit in kayaker, both white water and sea kayaking, and a sailor. In recent years, an old car wreck has lead to degenerative cervicle disks and significant pain after an hour or two of paddeling. I can still do a six mile white water run, if I streach my upper body several times on the way down and take some advil, but distance flat water paddeling is pretty much out.

I had been looking at these boats for a couple of years, thinking they might provide a way to cntinue being on my local waters in South Florida without suffering as much. I had already purchased a Hobie sail and adapted it for use on my sea kayak (pictured). And, I preferred the classic to the wide bodies as it appeared to be a better boat for paddeling. So when the Revolution appeared, which is an improved classic with sailing option, I made the move. Actually preferred the AI, but, already having the sail for the Revolution and half the price made the decision for me.

Unfortunately my sail package is stored with the sea kayak a few hundred miles away - should be up there to get it this weekend. I am hoping to do with the Revolution what I did with the sea kayak and rig that same jib up with the Hobie sail. As you can see, I have already fachioned a center board for the Rev. I know it looks big, but it's that way so I can shape it further, depending on how the boat handles ( too much weather helm or lee helm). I bought the flooties because the amas on the sea kayak would not easily transfer to the Rev., and because they seemed so handy and light.

A couple of observations on comments I have read on the board. Having not sailed this boat yet, I probably shouldn't comment, so take it with a grain of salt. One is the idea that adding a center board will make it more unstable. I believe that was reported by some dealers. I would love to here the opinion of the Hobie people on that, because I tend to think that it does just the opposite, in that it slows down the heeling affect in gusts and makes the boat more stable, in general. I have also read several folks caution that it is "primarily" a kayak, implying that one shouldn't expect too much on the sailing end. If I can get this thing to cruise a 3 to 4 mph in about 10 mph winds, then it will be primarily a sail boat, for my purposes.

Sailing is my preference over flat water kayaking, and I am confident that I can make this a pretty decent sailer. The jib sail, when added to the main on the sea kayak improved the upwind performance substantially. When sailing the sea kayak, I use a short canoe paddle instead of the douple blade. It's easier to use while sailing and is very handy for assisting on change of tack - the jib helps in that regard also.

I included my shade option in the pictures, as well as the CB. It's very affective and sure footed in it's craddle - $10 instead of over 200 for the mantis that Hobie use, and more shade.

If there is interest, I will give a report on the performance when the rest of the modifications are finished.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:41 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Ted and welcome to the forum.

It's nice to see some of the innovations that folks come up with, and it looks like you're a great customizer!

A very sensible approach to the daggerboard, testing it before making the final cuts. It'll be great to see what you end up with. No doubt, it will add stability as well as upwind performance.

How does your umbrella shade work out? Does it catch the wind? Looks like it may interfere with the sheeting while sailing though.

It will be very interesting to see how the jib performs and how you rig your Revo!

One caution -- be careful about using extra sail AND the Sidekick in higher winds. The Sidekick will limit the boats natural ability to heel and dump wind -- neither the mast or the mast step (sleeve) may be up to that much stress without some sort of reinforcement. Looking forward to your improvements! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your right about the additional stresses. I got out in about 20 + knots in the sea kayak and beat under main only. I was afraid that the mast would break and the amas were plowing and slowing the boat. When I got home I added a fishing rod shaft to the inside of the top half of the mast to stiffen it, and extended the curved front portion of the amas. The mast base on the Rev. looks sturdy enough. Plus, I made some side stays that help some.

After looking through the parts cataloge, it occured to me that, if I used the turbo fins, I might not need the home made center board. Those fins are pretty long and might do the trick. I have to price the turbos and the larger rudder.

The umbrella is a wind resistent golf umbrella and it shouldn't get in the way at all. I tried it first by just sticking the umbrella in the scupper hole. You have to shave the handle some.That restricted my vision some, but not my seating and peddeling. Now that it is about eight inches higher, it should be out of the way. The closer the better, in terms of sun protection and being more stable. If it got windy, I would retract and clasp it. It may even be possible to sail with it if the winds aren't too strong - I'll have to test it. The sheat might be able to clear, at least, on the opposite side of the unmbrella. That would be a starbord tack, the way I have it installed.

Looking forward to getting the boat on the Suwannee this weekend. I'm waiting for a bicycle motor to get here today so I can install it on my nountain bike and use it for a shuttle when I get to the river.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Everything looks great and I am sure you will have a lot of fun with it. I sail out in the San Francisco Bay with my Oasis in strong winds and have not had a problem, although I would love to see a picture of your side stays.