Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Either this weekend or next weekend we will be taking our 1981 H16 out for the first time (Depending on when the new trampoline arrives). If all goes well on the maiden voyage we would like to take the boat on a camping/sailing trip around Labor Day. I looked at a place called Raystown Lake in Pa. Is anyone familiar with this place? How is the wind? We usually take a tent when camping but it usually stays packed and we just sleep in the truck. We'd like to find a place that we can beach the cat and CAMP RIGHT NEXT TO IT. Although this post is about Raystown Lake, anything within reasonable distance from the Baltimore/Annapolis area could be an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out the eastern shore. I know there are some places there that have beach camping

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

swampcreek wrote:
Either this weekend or next weekend we will be taking our 1981 H16 out for the first time (Depending on when the new trampoline arrives). If all goes well on the maiden voyage we would like to take the boat on a camping/sailing trip around Labor Day. I looked at a place called Raystown Lake in Pa. Is anyone familiar with this place? How is the wind? We usually take a tent when camping but it usually stays packed and we just sleep in the truck. We'd like to find a place that we can beach the cat and CAMP RIGHT NEXT TO IT. Although this post is about Raystown Lake, anything within reasonable distance from the Baltimore/Annapolis area could be an option.

Probably a little late to help you out but we have camped at Raystown MANY, MANY times. There are several campgrounds but only a couple decent ones. There ARE opportunities to camp on the water both at Raystown Resort and Lodge and at the Army Corps of Engineers 7 Points camp, Susquehannock, and Nancy's. 7 Points is the nicest and even if you can't get a waterfront site (may be tough on short notice), they have a good mooring area.

Also, I'm not a sailor (yet . . . see other questions soon to be posted) but the 7 Points area of the lake would absolutely offer the best sailing opportunities. The lake is at its widest there with wind from all directions. It is a long, skinny lake with high mountains so the open areas, I would think would be better.

Be advised holiday weekends there are pure chaos. Lots of powerboats and lots of on-water activity. But there are a LOT of big no-wake areas to play in too.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Pete!
I emailed Raystown Lake they sent some info...but not as good as yours. Anyway, we've yet to take that maiden voyage due to the new trampoline arriving later than expected. This weekend coming up looks like a go. I currently have the cat in my garage...worked on her till 3:00AM Sunday morning!!! We might go to Raystown the weekend before or after Labor Day (I'll have to check site availability AND my schedule), if not we will be on the Chesapeake. It's a pain here though, thousands upon thousands of miles of shoreline and hardly any launch ramps :evil: ...We are surely not getting our money's worth on the taxes we pay here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland :twisted: :twisted: . I'm going to check a few leads and find a place to beach her locally at a private residence on weekends and such.

Anyway thanks for the tips!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Swamp . . I know what you mean about MD. The Chessie is tough for boat ramps. There are tons of boat ramps if you are launching a 12' Jon Boat you plan to row! We launched for years at Rogue's Harbor which was always the closest point for us. The ramps are nice there but a break water would have been nice. A list of scheduled bass tournaments would have been nice there too.

I'd definitely lean toward 7 Points if I were you. Even if you can't get a waterfront site they do have the mooring area (free with camping as is the boat launch as I recall). You are sort of in the middle of several areas that would be good sailing depending on the wind.

It occurs to me that there is a bridge just North of the resort which would limit how far from the resort you can sail w/o hauling out and re-launching North of the resort. From 7 points you can access the majority of the lake.

Here is a good link for you . . .

http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/Activities/boating.htm