Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barber hauler for AI
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I finally got around to install and take some pictures of my AI barber hauler.

I devised and rigged this because I got tired of holding the sail open going downwind in light winds.

The system is simple and avoids having to add a horizontal batten to the sail, which would prevent furling.

Here are some pictures (I used a white line for the pictures but I'll replace it with black or aesthetics):
Overview Sheeted in:

Side View: Image

Rear View Sheeted out: Image

Pulley on Ama: Image

Cam cleat: Image

Double Pulley riding on main sheet: Image

Return from Ama to Cam Cleat: Image

I used the following parts:
Cam Cleat Ronstan RF5000
Single Pullies on Ama: Harken H292
Double pulley Harken H226

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:09 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
this looks like a great idea! i will keep it in mind as more people start having the same problem as you.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sweet!!

When we do our first set-up clinic or fun-sail this year for Fleet 72 you are soooo going to have to bring both that and the Getaway!

-Tim

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Xavier -

What a super idea! And your pictures are the best. What has your experience been with it installed? How is it working?

I think Hobie needs to put you on as a consultant in the field. This, and your "Let's put a Bravo sail on the AI" are just GREAT ideas. Also, have you made any modifications to your Getaway? I'd be curious about any improvements there.

Thanks for helping out the rest of us.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The barber hauler works "as advertised" on my AI. I can now sip my cold drink while lazily coasting under the gentle breeze :P instead of having to hand hold the clew!

I haven't done many mods to the Getaway aside from breaking the mast base while trying to rig a lever system so that my wife can raise the mast by herself if I'm incapacitated. This actually happened last year when I broke a toe and had to lower the mast to bring the boat back home. While I can raise and lower the mast in normal conditions, the mast is much too heavy for her, and ever since I've been trying to rig a system with a winch.

Because the Getaway mast must rotate on its way up and down, you can't easily use the forestay to pull with a winch. I have since bought an EZ-Step system where the gin pole forces the mast to stay sideways. However, due to the inclement weather and the holidays, I haven't tried it yet.

Other than that, I mounted a Cheata bracket and Minn Kota 30 electric motor, with a small 32Ah battery strapped on the starboard hull. It moves the boat nicely when the wind fails completely.

I attached a small block and tackle with a jam cleat to the tack of the main so that when I raise the main I only have to snap the bottom pulley to the mast cleat and cinch the main down. The additional purchase provided by the block and tackle make it much easier to adjust the tension on the main luff.

I was using a solar-powered garden light stuck in the hole through the mast float to provide some navigation light at night. However, the amount of light is minimal, and I'll probably abandon this idea. A flash light shining on the sail (assuming there is wind) is much more visible.

I'm still looking for the perfect cup holder to attach either at the end or on the outside of the wings. Most holders I've found use the tapered slot system common on larger boats, but I fear this is much too fragile on a boat like the Getaway. If anyone has found a good solution, please let us know.

I'd love it if Hobie developed a spi for the Getaway. I don't feel safe or competent jury-rigging such a system considering the very significant forces at play when flying a spi. I've gotten in enough troubles with professionally-made spi system (albeit on much larger boats), and I guess I'm getting less foolish as years accumulate!

Oh, one cute thing I added to my boat for cases when land-lubbers or clueless friends want to help rig it are bands of green and red electrical tape at the bottom of the shrouds, on the tillers and tiller cross-bar and everywhere else where differentiating between port and starboard is important. With these color coding tapes, all they need to do is match the colors! This is especially handy to keep them from reversing the rudders.

Hope this helps you increase your enjoyment of this great boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the info

I have your barber hauler ready to go on my AI. Can't wait to try it out. It's just what that boat needed.

Regarding your Getaway, I'll be interested in how that EZ Stepper works out. So many of those systems are not suited for the Getaway's sideways lift position.

Also liked your "Red and Green tape" It's so much easier and faster to set up the boat all by myself. But sometimes friends want to help and the colored tape will make it a lot easier for them to not mess up.

What is your method of choice for righting solo? Bag, pole, shroud extenders or something else? Just curious as to what you are using.

Really appreciate you sharing all that you've done with your boats. You make it easier for the rest of us to get it right - and to get more out of our boats.

Thanks again Xavier -

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'll move the follow up to the Getaway thread.

Post subject: Any updates?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love the hauler idea. Any updates to this design? I'm about to build one.

Also, where do you buy your marine hardware?

-ren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Haven't had to update it; it works as advertised! The hardware can be found at any marine shop such as Boaters World or West Marine, or online.

Enjoy,
Xavier

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Xavier, for the post.... I copied your ideas and intalled my own barber hauler today just like yours. I'll test it this weekend if there's any wind.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK now that it's been around for a while...

Any comments by users would be appreciated..

What's working and what's not.

Is the bungee system better than a full barber haul.

When do you use this system and when do you not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When the winds are light and variable, I use a setup like the pictures above. When just sailing downwind, waiting for the better wind to come, I use just the simple line with a SS hook I like the pics in this post: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... sc&start=0

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm going to install your AI barber hauler system. Does mounting the outside blocks to the rear of the Aka's, limit the sail from opening out fall enough when running down wind or any issues with angle to blocks?

Thank you for your pictures, they are very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob L. wrote:
I'm going to install your AI barber hauler system. Does mounting the outside blocks to the rear of the Aka's, limit the sail from opening out fall enough when running down wind or any issues with angle to blocks?

Thank you for your pictures, they are very helpful.

Having the blocks on the aft end of the ama about your only option. There's nothing else further out there. As for it limiting, that hasn't been a problem. I've been sailing with the barber hauler for two years now, and I wouldn't go without it. On the occasions when I didn't rig it for an outing, I've usually ended up regretting it. I find that the barber hauler adds at least a knot to a knot & a half of boat speed on a down wind run. More with a good breeze. I also rigged mine with clips to hold the blocks to the amas, as well as clips to connect the ends of the barber hauler line to the block on the main sheet. Makes rigging & unrigging just that much easier.

Enjoy,
- Jim L

Post subject: Re: Barber hauler for AI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you consider trying to use the paddle (with modifications) to pole out the sail?