Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does size really matter?
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We had some fun comparing the Lightspeed 32 components to the H20. Notice the rudder size.

That's a LOT more boat, and not a lot more rudder!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Video of the boat sailing with these in light wind with my four year old can be found at youtube.com

Search Hobie 20

Post subject: EPO2
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

I spent the weekend sailing with Mike on his 20 (with EPO2) in varied conditions, flat bay, open ocean, windy and light and quite a lot of time single handing. We sailed in solid double trapeze conditions (Mike and I double trapped? ... we are likely 450 together) It was smokin! I know George Pedrick has been sailing with them. Kit Wegman has been racing with them for years...

Can't we move forward on the EPO2 rudders as class legal? There is nothing wrong with their performance. Certainly no issue of cavitation. Total control without a hint of safety concern. Actually, I believe they feel better than the original blades.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wonder how we move forward? I am all in favor and will make whatever motion is necessary with whatever person if necessary. I have one new rudder and one old one and the old one is looking like its going to die pretty soon, so the sooner the better on this!

Chris Wessels
Hobie 20 785
Fleet 10

BTW: Matt, if I order the new 16 colors and get 2 of them, can one of them have white number and the other black or red or something else?

Post subject: What now?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

Right now it is up to Phil Collins and George Pedrick to get the rules comittee some information / blessing of the idea.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am sure they are field testing every chance they get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't know that Phil has had a chance to test the EPO's yet. Plus, his was one of the boats that got banged up @ the Lewisville regatta.

Post subject: Hobie 20 rudder update
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I spoke with Phil earlier this week, his boat was destroyed in a storm in Texas. Apparently, he did not have the new EPOs on the boat at the time. He has not had a chance to sail with the EPOs yet. He is picking up his new boat this week.

I have only been able to sail two regattas with the EPOs for a total of 11 races. All of the races were single and double trap conditions. In these conditions the rudders seem just fine. I do feel like I have a bit less turning power, but I have been satisfied that the boat has turned as fast as needed while racing in these conditions. I have not experienced any stalling or cavitations yet. I have just raced as I normally would, I have not tried to torture test the rudders as I am confident they will hold up.
The remaining concern is how they will handle in down speed racing, such as prestart maneuvering and mark rounding’s in 0-5 knots of wind.

Hobie Cat has introduced a new factor in the decision process by discontinuing the Hobie 20. The EPOs will be more readily available which will help as the 20 sailors try to keep the fleet on the water.

There will be a discussion about allowing the EPO at the AGM during the Hobie 20 nationals. I suspect a decision will be made at that time.

George Pedrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://youtube.com/watch?v=unc4SC76T0w

Here is your answer to light wind.

Post subject: IHCA Rules Committee
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

IHCA Rules Committee, Thursday, 23 August 2007

Sailors have raised the question of allowing the Hobie 16 EPO rudder blades to be used as an alternative to that of the standard Hobie 20 rudder blades. The IHCA Rules Committee has in co-operation with Hobie Cat US and the Hobie Class Association of North America considered the issue. Hobie Cat US has furthermore carried out some on-water testing. The H-16 EPO rudder blades appear to work fine on the H-20 and allowing the use of them seems beneficial to the sailors.

Since both the H-20 and the H-16 EPO rudder blades are supplied by Hobie Cat Co, it means we need a class rule interpretation rather than a rule change if the H-16 EPO rudder blades should be made class legal parallel with the existing H-20 rudder blades.

Based on this the Rules Committee has in agreement with Hobie Cat US decided the following interpretation to H-20 rule 1.1:
“H-16 EPO rudder blades as supplied by the HOBIE CAT CO shall be considered class legal parallel with the H-20 rudder blades.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What about other boats as well, or will this just apply to the HC20?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All the other boats (with the exception of the Tiger and 21) used the Hobie 14 rudder that has been upgraded in shape and materials, but the outline is the same as it has been for years. It is hard to belive that a blade that worked on the 14 would work on a 20 foot boat, but the symetric hulls of the 20, dagger boards, along with the stronger stiffer EPO2 blade make it all work.