Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H14 sails vs. H16 sails?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ive never sailed a cat, Ive never even sailed...but my parents gave me a Hobie 14 Turbo thats in great shape, with it is a Hobie 16 sail and jib,...you can probably guess my next question,...Will this work? :?: or do I need to look for a trade or possibly a new H14 sail and jib? If its not possible to sail a H16 sail/jib on a H14, Ive got a H16 sail/jib thats in great shape for sale or trade. Thanks for the help. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:29 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The H16 sails are far too large to work on the 14.

E-bay is your best bet to sell the 16 sails / buy sails for the 14. If you've got the $, I'd take a look at getting new sails for the 14 - the new sails are built much better than the old ones and should last a lot longer.

Post subject: Awesome Sail
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I particulary like the sail in the middle with the green and red in it. Very nice!!

Post subject: Oooppss
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sorry, I forgot to finish my post, I have a 14 main and a jib that I might be able to pry away from my daughter in trade for you 16 sails, depending on what you have.
[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Where was that photo shot? It looks like the frostbite or a national event (seems that it is a starting line being photographed). Anyway, unless you have a H16 mast, their is no physical way a H16 main will go up; the 16 jib won't fit either (and with a 16 mast and both sails, you'd be wayyyy over powered and the leeward bow would be diving, even w/ one or two in the trap, espically in heavy air-now I'd like to see a 16 mast and main only w/ spin combo-or at least a spin on the std 14 (maybe a wave)). So, convince your parents to buy a new set of sails or go a searching (a new set is around $1100 for main and jib, both in the latest color-white would be like $950 ish). Unfortuantly, new sails are more than most boats are worth, but the value does go up a bunch.

Sam

Post subject: Picture of 14s
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That picture is of the 14 Nationals in Syracuse earlier this month. A total blast, with some great sailing. A real learning experience for me, watching the top 5 boats consistantly move away from the rest of us race after race after race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What would happen if you got a H-16 mast for those sails???

Put that on a H-14, and I imagine you would have the most "over-powered" cat known to man. Can you say pitch-pole heaven?

H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I dunno if an H16 mast would fit on an H14... it's quite a bit bigger than the H14 mast and I'm pretty sure the tang is in a different location, so you'd need custom rigging.

Still... it'd be pretty interesting. :D

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not that I'm ENCOURAGING mutant hybrids, but custom wires can be had for the same price as Hobie stock wires. When I accidentally dragged an older shroud on the highway, I wanted to keep the old measurements. Its been a while since I had it made, but Tom Haberman of Aquarius made me one for $20. I'm sure he'd charge more now.

H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN