Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After being caught out on the water with winds gusting 15 to 20 knots and having difficulty furling the sail I came up with the following solution.

I have been testing it for about a month and so far is working well. The long term problem of rust seems to be the main disadvantage so I am trying to source stainless or plastic bearings. I spray the bearings with Innox and this has minimised the problem.

The parts needed are
-grooved thrust bearing sized for a tight fit on mast

-small roller bearing sized to fit snugly inside mast tube. It needs to be slightly bigger than mast diameter but still able to fit in mast tube. I could only find a bearing the same size so I used heatshrink to increase the diameter slightly.

Steps
1- Remove plastic plug from end of mast
2- Drill a hole about 38cm from bottom of mast big enough to insert a line through. I used 3mm spectra line and tied a knot so it wouldn’t come through
3- Fix a cleat to the mast below the sail and shorten the sail bungee. The sail is now attached to the mast instead of the boat.
(The plastic clip is for retaining the bearings when not in the mast tube)

4- Fit small bearing to end of mast, making sure it spins freely. I used a plastic shock cord button which was the right diameter to fit tightly inside mast. Tap a small hole in mast for grub screw to hold it in place. A stainless bolt attaches the bearing to the button and a nut as a spacer between bearing and button allows it to spin.

5- Fit the thrust bearing to the mast so that the bottom of the mast is now just above the bottom of the mast tube. In my case it is 20cm from the end. The bearing I got was a press fit for the top washer and a looser fit on the bearing retainer and bottom washer. The thrust bearing is now taking all the weight of the mast, transferring it to the top of mast tube and allowing it to spin.

The bottom bearing prevents the mast end hitting the side of the mast tube.

6- Mount a cleat for the furling line so the line runs freely in the gap between the pedals.
I use a plastic clip to ensure the thrust bearing doesn’t come apart when out of mast tube.
I now have true roller furling and can easily adjust how much sail I have out when the conditions get tough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very well engineered.
Question....What is the advantage of furling over lufting???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great job. Wish someone would come up with a kit!!!!

No flapping around... If you’re fishing it gets the sail and line out of the way quickly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the comments.
Joe- I am new to sailing and still not familiar with the terms but I guess you mean luffing where you let the sail out? If so I have found that when the wind gets really strong the sail becomes uncontrollable and the mast bends all over the place even when you let the sail out. Capsize is a real possibility. By furling the sail around the mast you can still use the sail even in the strongest of winds. You just lessen the sail area that the wind can catch. Genuine roller furling allows you to do this quickly and easily. The AI uses a roller furling system.

dueitt2s-I wish Hobie would offer a standard sailing option that includes a larger sail and roller furling! The larger sail would be great in light conditions and you could furl it when the wind gets too strong!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:58 pm 
Hobie Team Member

hey stringy.. it looks as if you are the furling master...

how is this sytem in relation to your newer post..

it looks the same but with out the bottom fittng.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day boogie-d,
The newer system using the bimini knuckle is much simpler and works about the same.
The bottom bearing does make for smoother furling but you can actually furl the sail with just the line and no bearings, especially if you lube the mast holder. Someone posted about using teflon tape as well.
The big advantage of the knuckle is that it clamps and there is no need to drill holes in the mast for attaching a line.
Unfurling is more difficult without the bearing though.
The more recent post lists stainless/nylon bearings which are better suited to saltwater.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:42 pm 
Hobie Team Member

cool man i still need to get mine going.. temporarly i have used a rubber and steel washer.. also a hose clamp with a string... it does not work very good.. i willl look for the other post and order the stainless thrust bearing and clamp soon..

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Clever. Would love a furling system. Wish Hobie would do it for the rev. Windlass