Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16 vs 17
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Which boat has more flotation... more crew carrying capacity?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know the direct answer but the 16 was built to be sailed and uprighted by a crew of two at a combined total weight of something like 260 lbs (not sure) Rumour, and an article in Playboy ca 1970, have it that Hobie figured on an "ideal" California couple which was a young woman at about 110 and a young guy at about 140 :)

The 17 was built to be single handed and uprighted with an ideal weight of something like 160 lbs. (Matt can give us the numbers I'm sure)

I know that I have sailed a 16 with three insane but full sized men plus myself (not that I did not say "grown" men :lol: ) and I even took about a dozen first graders at one time. It was all good. On the other hand, if I go out on the 17 with another adult it gets tough without good wind and if I take 3 seventh graders it is all I can do to keep it going- not to mention that it is impossible to tack. :roll:

Good question though. Sail on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:59 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The 16 will definitely be more comfortable with 2 or even 3 people aboard. (Racing minimum weight is 285 lbs, competitive teams are consistently below 300 lbs.)

The 17 is a singlehanded boat. Period. (Racing minimum weight is 160 lbs.) Despite Hobie Cat's attempt to broaden the market with the Sport Conversion, it's a slug with more than 250 lbs on it. The wings are only rated for 350 lbs.

If you want to carry a lot of people, look at an 18 or even a 20. Much more complex boats, though.

Post subject: Flotation
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would say that for hauling people, checkout the Getaway. We bought a couple of Waves recently for our Sailing School, and we 'fat guys' 200lbs have been tearing up the lake on them. If the 16' Getaway displaces anything like the Waves, that would be the boat to get.
Also, in South Dakota this year, we had 4 Getaways racing, and they didn't do all that bad. Plus, they are EASY to tack, and boomless and tough as nails.
Just my 2 cents.