Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16 vrs the getaway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am on my third 16 which I purchased new in 85, I would like to replace the boat but I am thinking a getaway might be a nice change! I sail mostly by myself in a small inland lake. What do you guys think? My main consern is that the boat will be slower and not as exciting as the 16. On the other hand the extra displacement and the seats I think would be nice. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, Yesterday we had three people on a Getaway with a total weight of 600 pounds. Stuffed the hulls, stopped dead, with the transoms out of the water the boat then capsized to leeward. I thought it was pretty exciting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I gather you weren't impressed with the getaway or what??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fhopper wrote:
Well, Yesterday we had three people on a Getaway with a total weight of 600 pounds. Stuffed the hulls, stopped dead, with the transoms out of the water the boat then capsized to leeward. I thought it was pretty exciting.

:lol: :lol: well Mr Hopper, that's pretty funny if not impressive.

Roy, I read on another thread that the Getaway can hold it's own with a single sailor onboard. How about a 17 or an FX?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a good point, I don't know why I never considered the 17 but looking at the boat two things come to mind. 1) It looks like it would be a handfull in a good wind (although the roller furling jib would help). 2) do the small fins fold up when you beach the boat? One more thing how does the price compare to the 16?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roy wrote:
I gather you weren't impressed with the getaway or what??

I thought it was a very nice boat. The hardware was consumer grade rather than race grade and that is as it should be. It sailed very well and was as represented by Hobie in every respect.
I found the floatation remarkable, I weigh 300 pounds. I did however find the fatal flaw in its design for me. At my weight and age (55) I could not get back on the boat once it was righted. I was also not really able to stand on the lower hull to right it, just couldn't get up there. I hiked against the lower hull's keel, it was the best I could do.
I will not own a Getaway but I know that those who do will be really glad they have them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is! That's the GOOD part :lol:

I am 51 years old and weigh in at 150-160 lbs and find the boat to be a real pleasure. It is responsive and with one sheet and a hot stick, you can enjoy yourself more without a lot of line to tend to. Trapping out on the wing is a real scream with your head about 10 feet above the water. I can right it by myself using the "solo-upright system"- I could not do this with my 16. I do not have the jib and can hold my own against a 16. My good buddy Dan does. The jib helps when you want to tack in high winds and are reluctant to handle a "roll-tack" but I am happy without it. As of now I seem to have tacking down in all but the lightest air. (knock on wood)

I don't know how it compares price wise to a 16 - I think you need to just shop around, or have a buddy who is "upgrading" to a family mono-hull and who has a wife that will only allow that to happen IF he gets rid of the Hobie... :wink:

The self-tending dagger boards just fold right up, no problem. I try to stow them before I beach it, but it is not imperative.

I'm with fhopper on getting back on board the Getaway- even at my weight and size. The boat sits higher than most.

Reading the FX thread, I think THAT may be my next boat- in the meantime, happy sails!!