Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can I race a Wave?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Will we be able to race officially at a sanctioned Hobie event in our own class if we have enough Waves show up?

Now that I've got my eleven year old hooked on the racing scene, he wants his own boat. :D
I think the Dragoon is overkill for kids, and I don't want to have the only one of those on the water either. Then there's the resale issue to think about.
So, I've decided that if I sell my boat and get two Waves I can shadow him for another year on the water to further his learning, and at least I know two Waves will show up at each regatta. Later down the road we'll move him into 16's, or whatever, depending on what's happening. And keep the Waves for camping.
Some of the other parents that sail with their kids like the entry level pricing on the Wave and you can let the kids bounce off the beach without worrying that they'll break the boat or scratch the gel coat.

Last edited by OLD SCHOOL 18 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: good question Old School
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was wondering the same thing with regards to the Bravo and my kid-
(he got to check one out and would like to pit it against his buddies with sunfish and lazers 8) )

Post subject: Wave races
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We (Division 7) are lucky enough to have a youth regatta with Hobie Waves as the racing boats we use. Sailing Center in Des Moines sponsors the race and there are about 6 Waves, round robin format and the kids range in age from 19 to 6. They love it.

Also, when we were at Midwinters East, they had a Wave Class there too. Adults mostly, but there was one really nice kid from Florida, long hair and a big smile, that kicked the crap out of most everyone there. I wish I could remember his name. His parents were on a Dragoon though......

4 boats make a fleet I think!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:12 am 
Site Admin

I think you will see that more and more.

Many of the Division 2 regattas had Waves this summer. They offered free entry for Waves sailed by a parent and child combo. I think it is a great idea.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)