Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I started sailing on Aqua Cats on the SC coast maybe 20 yrs ago.
Just messing around.

In the past decade I made a few wooden boats for playing in local ponds/lakes. I developed a serious allergy to wood and/or curing agents which actually put me in the hospital and precluded me from finished my last sailing dinghy. I have always kept my eye on cats, wanting to get one at some point. Could one car top a Bravo 1000 mi if carefully packed on a Honda Odyssey?

To make a long story short I took this boat out on Thursday, and just from riding in it an hour, my arms and legs are covered in a rash (again)! UGH, these wood boats must go, which brings me here. I have discussed this with a few other boat builders, and although rare, some people develop a sensitivity to the curing agents in boat epoxy - evidently I am one of them.

I live in Charlotte, NC, but am looking for a car-topable small sailboat to take to the NC/SC coast, as well as my annual trip to York Maine to visit family. Would love to sail local lakes as well, if it would be up to the task.

Looking at the Zuma or the Hobie Bravo. Simplicity, and ability to car top are the keys, cost really is not. I really do not want to deal with a trailer. Crew would be captain and two small children or two adults at most. Many times solo.

Thoughts welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's possible to carry a Bravo on a roof rack, but.... Very few non-commercial vehicles have a rack system that will handle a 12 foot sailboat of that weight safely. Look at the owner's manual of your vehicle, or check the websites of Thule/Yakima.

Now I have carried a Bravo in the back of a long-bed, fleet side pick-up with no trouble.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:56 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
get the Thule roof rack, they have a kit that will fit on your current rack rails. The Bravo could be tired down no problem as "The Dog" said! Those are some awesome looking boats you make! Your gona love the bravo easy to sail, easy to rig, and wood free!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thx for the reply guys.

I am already invested in various Thule bits and bar widths which fit my mid sized sedan and the minivan. I will keep investigating just to make sure will we be able to handle this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Mullman,
Sorry to hear about your allergy to your hobby. Your boat looks great.
Just a suggestion about not wanting to get into a trailer. I bought a Rack and Roll trailer this spring, not wanting to do the roof top thing. You might take a look at their web site, rackandroll.com. It folds up and takes 12" of space out from wall. I don't know how a Bravo would fit it but it should. It rolls easily by hand with boats on it. It really worked for me after my wife got over the sticker shock. However, you get what you pay for.
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

BNelsonR wrote:
Hi Mullman,
Sorry to hear about your allergy to your hobby. Your boat looks great.
Just a suggestion about not wanting to get into a trailer. I bought a Rack and Roll trailer this spring, not wanting to do the roof top thing. You might take a look at their web site, rackandroll.com. It folds up and takes 12" of space out from wall. I don't know how a Bravo would fit it but it should. It rolls easily by hand with boats on it. It really worked for me after my wife got over the sticker shock. However, you get what you pay for.
Bruce

How does that trailer tow and what are you placing on this trailer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Rack and Roll trailer weighs 150# and can carry 250# load, 400# GVW.
I carry 4 Hobie mirage kayaks. When towing you don't know it back there. Does not change gas mileage as there is little weight and no wind resistant. When loaded I can move it by hand in the grass up a small incline. Check their web site if you haven't already. It is and does what they say it will. You can tow it with a motorcycle like the Honda Goldwing.
rackandroll.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow -- your wooden boat looks great. (your kids are too cute, as well.)

Did you build those boats from plans? If so, where did you get them?

The Bravo is a fun boat. Hope you pick something great for your family.

Post subject: Trailers & Bravo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rack & Roll trailer looks gorgeous. May be more fun to own than the sailboat!

With all due respect to your preferences, I sure would not want to lift my Bravo on and off the top of a mini-van. I used to car top my Kayaks, but even with those, I switched to a trailer.

One of the real pleasures of owning a Bravo is how easy it is to tow, launch, beach, retreive. With a small trailer, anyone can get the boat from parking lot to sailing in less than 10 minutes.

The other benefit of having it on a trailer is beging able to easily move it around the garage, driveway, back yard etc, when you're not using it.

I've also appreciated being able to unhook the trailer when I'm traveling, and want to go somehwere besides the lake, and not have the boat with me.

As far as the Bravo goes - sounds perfect for what you have in mind.

Pictures of my Bravo / Kayak / Trailer combo can be seen at

http://flickr.com/search/?q=hobie%20bravo&w=all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

One thing I found can do with the Rack and Roll trailer that solves a parking problem.
I have been where there is no pull through parking after launching the kayaks.
I remove the tongue, put it inside the vehicle, put the trailer on it's end with the tires against the bumper and lock it to the hitch with a cable. Only need one parking space.
I had to do the once. Works for me.

Bruce 8989, I'm with you, putting that much size and weight on a roof rack is no fun. Also roof racks have weight ratings. Doesn't a Bravo weigh in the 195# range? The factory rack on my SUV is rated for 75#. Then you have wind when driving......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

StateCollegeGuy wrote:
Wow -- your wooden boat looks great. (your kids are too cute, as well.)

Did you build those boats from plans? If so, where did you get them?

The Bravo is a fun boat. Hope you pick something great for your family.

Thanks for the kind words.
That particular boat was a kit from clcboats.com

Assembly pics here:

http://web.mac.com/mulls/iWeb/toys/boat%203.0.html[/url]

Post subject: New Bravo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:lol: First time to post on this forum but I had to put my two cents worth in. My wife and I had grown up sailing everything from a Sunfish to a 24' sloop and we have a small cabin now and everytime the wind would be blowing we would look at each other and think the same thing, sailboat!
We looked at all the sailboats that were available to us in Minnesota and we kept looking at the Bravo. We wanted a boat that was easy to set up and easy to store because we don't have alot of room at our cabin. The Bravo has met every need and has been the talk of the other cabins around us. Yes the Hobie 16 that is on our lake can go past us like a corvette passing grandma on the freeway, but I always see that Hobie tied up at the dock when the wind is good, chicken!!!
We have the optional boom and it made the Bravo a better boat to sail and I would suggest it to anyone that gets one of these great sailboats.
Thanks to the staff at Hi Tempo for helping us out on or selection of boats and gear, it has been a great summer of fun for both of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am just a newie to this forum. Am considering a Bravo - does one need to have some/or a lot of sailing expertise for Hobie Bravo sailing?
I own a very small car so car-topping not an option. I have looked at Rack and Roll trailers but expensive by the time getting to Down Under.
Also, how about set up times and getting boat from trailer to water?
Thanks
Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no direct experience with the Bravo, but seeing as it is the simplest boat that Hobie makes you should not need much expertise to sail it.

Of course it would be a good idea to find someone that knows what they are doing to teach you, or you could go about it like me. Just set up the boat, try and go upwind first incase things go wrong you can just drift back.
Make note, that i have never sailed before I tried out my 14.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, Mullman!

I am fond of your pictures here:
http://web.mac.com/mulls/iWeb/toys/boat%203.0.html

May I ask you to send me templates to make this perfect wooden boat. I'd like to make it by myself.

Thanx a lot.