Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Couldnt find what i was looking for.

I just recently bought a 1983 Hobie 16. went to check the boat out before I bought it and everything looked fine, just -- disassembled. I got the boat and took it home and started to put it back together, found out that all the battens had been taken out of the jib, etc.

anyway, when i put the main into the boom and tied it down and went to put the main away, i noticed that the (i cant think of the name of it forgive me, ive been sailing hobies since I was 13 with my dad but this is MY first hobie - that i've owned myself, im not familiar with all the terms (need to find a dictionary) -- the piece in question is at the fore (front?) of the boom where the boom attaches to the mast. its a small piece that slides into the mast to attach the whole assembly together. its made of metal -- and is what looks like bolted into the boom itself.

now on my parents hobie 16 (they sold it three years ago), I dont remember this piece making any movement, but my parents hobie was a 1976 H16 and this is a 1983, so im thinking either a) i need to replace it, or b) hobie made changes and im just not familiar with this setup.

my dad has told me that the boat seems rigged for racing, (ive never raced so i wouldnt know) but he didnt wasnt there when i assembled the boat, and i cant seem to explain it to him, so im here looking for an answer or at least a word i can use to describe the part to him.

is the peice on the front of the boom that slides into the mast supposed to move in and out of the boom (as in front to back) or should it be secure. if its not supposed to move it sounds like i might need a new boom or to have it fixed in some way.

sorry this is such a long post, just trying to be as descriptive as possible.

anyway, any info will help, thanks

-Russell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's the parts guide for the H16 boom assembly. Sounds like you're in need of either the boom pin, the vertex or the slide.

[/img]http://www.hobiecat.com/support/images/partguides/h1603c.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The boom pin does slide in and out of the boom. Once the sail is attached, however, and the slide is in the track, it won't move any more. But I believe that movement allows you to adjust it as its all going together.

In fact, if you never take the main off the boom, you wouldn't notice that it moved around. The rest of the pieces of the gooseneck are easy to assemble as shown in the diagram. If you need them all, you can order them as such...or as gthomas said, you can buy the slide or the vertex on their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kool. well maybe ive assembled the main to the boom improperly. hrm. anyone got a guide as to how to assemble a boat? lmao.

thanks for all the help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

H16 assembly manual: http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/H16_Manual.pdf

Regarding the gooseneck pin- it should rotate some in the end of the boom, but not move in and out. The goosneck (where it slides into the mast) however, should be able to flex in a few angles.

Hope that helps!

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:19 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

What you're looking for is on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2496854167&category=31283

Here's a photo from the listing: