Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am new to cat sailing and am looking to buy a 16 to use on a fresh water lake in Spokane WA. I have been reading some information on crew weight and am wondering if the 16 is the right boat for me. I am 6'4" weigh 220lbs and will be sailing with kids or buddies that weigh as much as I do. From what I have read the 17 would probably not be a good choice, 18 might be better. Could one person right a 18?
Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well i weigh 240 and am 6 foot even. I had myself and 2 other adults about 175 each for them and the 240 for me and that was ok.. I then added a forth person of about 200 lbs more and the boat dragged under water... im saying.. if you go over 600lbs it wont work!

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:D OK, I'll keep the weight under 600lbs. :D
Does anyone know anyone in the Pacific Northwest that wants to sell a 16?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Shiny,

One person can not right either a 16 or 18 without an aid of some kind (water bag, pole, etc.). At you weight a 16 would be a bad choice. You at 220 plus a crew of almost equal weight would add up to bad performance. A 18 would be a much better choice. A 20 would be another option. There are 18 foot boats that can be righted by one person, but the cost is higher. I do know boats available in the Northwest if you are interested in talking.

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

As long as there's some wind, the "small" righting bag from Murray's (80 lbs) is plenty to help me (165lbs) get my 16 back up.

:)

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."

Post subject: Crew Weight
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Interesting things happen with weight on our H16.

Me at 220, First Mate at 260, and Mrs. First Mate at 170, makes a STABLE boat, but trades off speed. Not too difficult to right with that much "help", but we never tipped it over until it was only two of us!!

I agree - not too much more than 600lb total crew weight is a goal to shoot for!

Mike
Leavenworth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

"One person can not right either a 16 or 18 without an aid of some kind (water bag, pole, etc.)."

A Hobie 16 can be right by a single sailor... You need some type of rope righening system (Hawaiian, retractable, ...) which is pretty much a standard system on most Hobies 16 (I would not sail with out one). You will need to learn the proper technique, which might take some practice. You should have some backup system (pole, bag, ...) for situations in which you capsize when the wind is too mild to assist you right the boat (this is part of the technique)
I (160 lb) sail most of the time alone capsize occasionally and righten 90% of the time with just the rope (I have a Hobie Garry style soloright pole as a backup).
With a 220 lb you will be able to right the boat in most situations without assistance of a second person or fancy equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow dood - you don't usually need a righting bag to get it up solo? I can barely do it *with* the righting bag and I'm 165. :shock:

Jim

Last edited by JaimeZX on Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the input on the boat selection and how to right the boat. I'm leaning towards the 16 because of storage issues, the availability of parts, and cost. Ken, thanks for the offer and I will be emailing you for some more info.

Thanks Guys!

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ken,
I did not find your email. Mine is listed under my profile. Please contact me and we can talk.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to right my old 16 by myself all the time, Then I was 210lbs. you just have to wait for the wind to turn the boat 180' The wind on the tramp will make it come over.... One thing don't force it over with out wind, if there is not enough wind to flip you there isn't enough to flip you back...really.

neville

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have two hobie 16's for sail.
Johnny O

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Using the "Solo Upright" system, the Hawaiian righting line and in enough wind, I was always able to get my 16 up. I usually did not go over unless there was a lot of wind, logically, and the wind really helps. A water bag helped make it go a lot faster, but that solo-system was the real key.

At that time I only weighed about 130 at 5'6". (Now my waist is larger than my inseam - just kill me :roll: - and I think I am shrinking. I use the solo system on my 17 just to speed things up)

It takes practice to flop back when you flip, but it is not that hard.

Happy sails to all you frostbiters- I am breaking out the skis and board-

Post subject: Hobie Wave
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am @ 195, my buddy is 230lbs and we tear around on a couple of Hobie Waves we got. THAT is the boat for a full sized guy to be solo on. TONS (no pun intended) of floatation and easy to right, also, for having a friend on the boat now and again it works fine. Try a Getaway too, better for more people.
I have a 14 that I think I am too heavy for, I have a 16 that once in a blue moon I can right by myself and we have access to the Waves that are EASY to get back over and really easy to sail.
$ .02 from Team Beef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how I do when I get a cat and the water warms up to at least 60 degrees.

Jonny O, I am interested in talking with you about your 16''s. My contact info is in my profile.

Thanks

Eric