Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mirage drive
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Out in some lumpy stuff a couple of days ago and did some damage to the retaining holes in the drum on the mirage drive, the pin popped right through into the next hole. Think it may have something to do with the screw that goes through the pin. First we thought the screw wasnt threaded in the middle but it is. the pin is loose for sure

Hobie aus have generously supplied the necessary part under warranty, which is great.

I always wash the drive after sailing so theres no sand/salt jamming the pin and the spring is just fine. I had just fitted turbo fins so the loading on the crank was greater, it was also quite windy at the time it broke

Any offers on this? heres the link to a video showing the problem

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd14 ... V00172.flv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is possibly the most common problem a mirage drive suffers. :(
It has been fixed with the upgrade seen here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8285
You should search the forums starting here with Roadrunners excellent guide:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8240
There has been a huge amount of discussion on this topic.

Post subject: Oh Gawd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Stringy...I was SO HOPING you were going to tell me its something I WAS DOING that was DUMB. At least that way I can mend my bad habits!

Looks like everytime I go out I BUST something but then this is just not possible as evident from the latest missive from Hobie Aus

*****Not sure what your customer is on about with every time he uses it something breaks, the AI has been one of our best sellers this year and we have had almost no issues at all!!! I have personally been using an AI since Dec 06 and to date have not had a problem at all*******

:oops: MUST be me

This new drive, is it sold in its entirety as a separate until, does it have a product number?

Many Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Philip

I have had no problems with the mirage drives on our 2 Islands because I use the 4 year old drives that came with the 2 Sport Kayaks. Even with turbo fins those SS sprocket and solid crank arms have done well. They get regular maintenance and new bushings every year. The drives that came with our Islands are unused & collecting dust.

Hobie is constantly innovating and changing stuff, and the drive version you have just has some issues. Fortunately Hobie has designed what looks like a very robust new drive - Matt is currently looking into part numbers and possible upgradability using the new waffle drum and cables. I will use new parts to update my unused 1 year old drives so they are reliable with turbo fins.

I have sailed literally hundreds of times since Oct. 06 (out 2-3 times a week) and there have been only 2 occasions that a breakage has stopped my sailing for the day. Wife has never broken hers on any outing. Yes, there has been some minor stuff most of which I catch & fix without issue. Stuff like glueing the front hatch gaskets, adjusting the mast bearing & balls, adding fairleeds to harkin blocks, etc.

Reading the forums religiously helps stay on top of things.

So the Island rates as very reliable craft from my experience. I can see your recent string of issues making it seem less so - but hang in there. The Island really is a good boat.

Yakaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:39 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
We still have one of the 1st islands to be shipped, we've had zero problems with them, and we use it at all of out demo days. The one thing I find hat seems to cause the drums to strip out is the pin not being set fully, also notice when some people use the pedals to readjust there butt in the seat. This puts a huge load on the drive. These are just a few things I've notice maybe you can check and see if maybe you're doing something w/o realizing it.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The issue with the mirage drive stripping seems to be specific to individual units. I have two AIs. On one of them, I've stripped the drive several times (Hobie replaced the broken part the first time, and eventually the dealer gave me the new unit after the arm kept stripping even though we were careful), while I haven't had any trouble whatsoever with the other drive.

And it's not due to the "user" as the stripping has happened with myself, my son and my father in law; all with the same drive, and never with the other.

I suspect that on some drives the angle between the arm and the drum is slightly bigger than on others, and the pin doesn't engage fully. Before my dealer replaced the unit, I used to pound the pin in to make sure it was fully set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Probably the replacement drum will be the same as the one I stripped which means it will just strip out again. How about I do away with the spring loaded system altogether and bolt the crank onto the drum TIGHT with a stainless nut and bolt? (Hobie Aus suggestion) I am the only one using the boat so i dont need to move the pin once I am set up right. I think this is the way to go, see how it lasts and then later buy an entire new updated mirage drive (sans fins) and go with that. Locking down the rudder with a C clamp seems to have worked-sort of, why not lock down the crank arm too!

I could see that bracing your feet against the pedals to get your butt back in the seat would be a killer and I dont doubt that along with many others I have been guilty of this. Also seems like I did the damage as soon as I had fitted the turbo fins...Also it was a windy day and I was using the mirage drive to help me bear away, my cadence wasnt that great but my strokes were quite hard. So....larger fins, lumpy sea, windy and a harder stroke on a drive that had PROBABLY already been weakened....BANG!

Thanks as always for all your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Philip1el wrote:
How about I do away with the spring loaded system altogether and bolt the crank onto the drum TIGHT with a stainless nut and bolt?

1. Unbolt the crank arm at the base

2. Unscrew the pin retainer.

3. Slide mechanism off the end of crank arm.

4. re-attach crank arm and line up your favorite hole.

5. Look for a bolt with a smooth shank, threaded end, about the same diameter as the pin or largest size that will fit (no longer than necessary). Use a lock washer or Nylock nut. I also used flat washers here to spread the load. Tighten to snug so you don't squash or crack anything. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

BRILLIANT!!! :idea: Many Thanks, will follow to the letter!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Philip1el -- is there a "Lemon Law" regarding AIs?

Post subject: drum
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Philip1el wrote:
Probably the replacement drum will be the same as the one I stripped which means it will just strip out again.

Not necessarily.

The biggest problem with drums was a warp in the parts. This was corrected and the materials were also changed some time ago.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chekika wrote:
Philip1el -- is there a "Lemon Law" regarding AIs?

Probably not, just when I decide I bought a lemon I go out and have the most fantastic time and the boat behaves beautifully!!

Yesterday a wonderful sail and a 3 kilo baraccuda. Sometimes gliding over coral in clear pristine water I feel like I am on an aircraft, not a boat. makes it all MORE than worthwhile.

Maybe the lemon law applies to me and not the boat at all-dunno...all I can say is I am very lucky to get to use the boat lots which is probably why I am experiencing a degree of wear and tear.